AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   brakes. oversized drums- what now? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=13691)

Hartmann December 4th 04 04:50 PM

brakes. oversized drums- what now?

i had my drums skimmed, thought they were the cause of significant judder-
not so, nicely skimmed, but still judders something crazy. question, what do
i do now re brake shoes? how and where do get oversized stuff? surely the
standard ones will only contact in spots?

thanks
hartmann

Speedy Jim December 4th 04 05:40 PM

Hartmann wrote:
> i had my drums skimmed, thought they were the cause of significant judder-
> not so, nicely skimmed, but still judders something crazy. question, what do
> i do now re brake shoes? how and where do get oversized stuff? surely the
> standard ones will only contact in spots?
>
> thanks
> hartmann

You *might* be able to find oversized shoes.
But eventually these new shoes will wear in to the drum diam.
Keep the stars adjusted weekly.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Wolfgang December 4th 04 05:45 PM

A good machine shop wont turn drums past the designated limit - hence new
normal shoes will work fine. You may have oil or other contaminents on the
old shoes. Are all the right fasteners and springs back on -- if one is off
that could cause problem too.

Busdriver December 4th 04 10:09 PM

Can drums get out of round?
my braking feels a little judder and when braking very lightly I can feel
it grabbing at spots but not the full drum...?

Hal December 4th 04 10:37 PM

>i had my drums skimmed, thought they were the cause of significant
judder-
>not so, nicely skimmed, but still judders something crazy. question,

what do
>i do now re brake shoes? how and where do get oversized stuff? surely

the
>standard ones will only contact in spots?

I had a super beetle that exhibited problems with the brake pedal
pulsing. It seemed as though the drums were warped, but inspection of
the drums didn't show anything wrong. The brake shoes also looked
good. I found that the bolt holding down the wheel cylinder on one
wheel was a little loose. Once that was tightened back down the
problem went away.

As for your other question...if the brake shoes are contaminated they
can cause problems such as the ones you are describing. If you replace
the shoes, plan on adjusting them more frequently initially, as they
will need to wear in before they will fully contact the friction
surface of the drum.

Chris

Chris Perdue December 4th 04 11:20 PM

>From: "Hartmann"

>judder-
>not so, nicely skimmed, but still judders something crazy.

do you run aftermarket wheels and bolts? if so check that lthe wheelbolts are
not extending too far into the drum, they will contact the brakes and make alot
of "judder"...and may not even cause damage that you can see .....