AutoBanter

-   Driving (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Speed limits are not personalized (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=8204)

MidnightDad January 8th 05 11:30 PM

Speed limits are not personalized

Speed limits are tuned for the _average_ driver in the _average_ vehicle.
Just because you think YOU have the catlike reflexes and the ultimate
driving machine to handle speeds well above the posted limit, that doesn't
mean you are issued an exemption. There's only one speed limit posted.

Arif Khokar January 8th 05 11:37 PM

MidnightDad wrote:
> Speed limits are tuned for the _average_ driver in the _average_ vehicle.

That sounds like bull**** to me. Speed limits are supposed to be set
based on actual traffic speeds.

Arif Khokar January 8th 05 11:37 PM

Dave C. January 9th 05 12:09 AM

"MidnightDad" > wrote in message
news:1105227025.4a52e3b9d55f9ca930a9635a7072b69f@t eranews...
> Speed limits are tuned for the _average_ driver in the _average_ vehicle.

of many decades ago

Dave C. January 9th 05 12:09 AM

Garth Almgren January 9th 05 12:23 AM

On 1/8/2005 3:30 PM, MidnightDad wrote:

> Speed limits are tuned for the _average_ driver in the _average_ vehicle.

You know, when your premise is wrong, all your reasoning will be wrong too.

Speed limits aren't "tuned" for anything, though they *ought* to be.
Currently they're arbitrarily chosen, usually by statute.

--
~/Garth |"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie.
Almgren | I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave.

Garth Almgren January 9th 05 12:23 AM

Alan Baker January 9th 05 12:46 AM

In article <1105227025.4a52e3b9d55f9ca930a9635a7072b69f@teran ews>,
"MidnightDad" > wrote:

> Speed limits are tuned for the _average_ driver in the _average_ vehicle.
> Just because you think YOU have the catlike reflexes and the ultimate
> driving machine to handle speeds well above the posted limit, that doesn't
> mean you are issued an exemption. There's only one speed limit posted.

But they are *not* (in general) so tuned. The fact is that the
"_average_ driver in the _average_ vehicle" is consistently driving
faster than the posted limit. And traffic engineers have studied it and
found that roughly 85% of them are doing so at an appropriate speed.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

Alan Baker January 9th 05 12:46 AM

Brent P January 9th 05 01:59 AM

In article <1105227025.4a52e3b9d55f9ca930a9635a7072b69f@teran ews>, MidnightDad wrote:
> Speed limits are tuned for the _average_ driver in the _average_ vehicle.
> Just because you think YOU have the catlike reflexes and the ultimate
> driving machine to handle speeds well above the posted limit, that doesn't
> mean you are issued an exemption. There's only one speed limit posted.

LIMIT is an UPPER BOUND. Maybe you should learn the meaning of words.

Oh, btw, around here, average driver does 70-78mph in a 55mph zone on the
local interstates.