AutoBanter

-   Mazda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   94 Miata popping out of fifth gear (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=74146)

Doug Wilson September 8th 06 02:41 AM

94 Miata popping out of fifth gear

A friend has a 94 Miata that pops out of fifth gear. Any suggestions on a
fix?

Thanks in advance.

Chuck September 8th 06 04:08 AM

94 Miata popping out of fifth gear

Replace tranny with a used one?

Doug Wilson September 8th 06 06:52 AM

"Chuck" > wrote in message
> Replace tranny with a used one?
> "Doug Wilson" > wrote in message
>> A friend has a 94 Miata that pops out of fifth gear. Any suggestions on
>> fix?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

That's what my first suggestion was, but with loss of her job due to the
factory moving overseas, my friend's not in the best of financial health,
and was hoping to repair her tranny.

Chuck September 8th 06 09:36 AM

94 Miata popping out of fifth gear

If that's the only problem, it's still cheaper to replace the tranny with a
used one.
The labor and parts on the repair will likely be quite a bit more than the
labor and cost of putting in a used tranny.
Used 5 speeds are not that expensive. Shipping one across the country does
get a bit steep.

The cause of the "pop out" is generally worn parts. Which ones and how many
are guesswork until the tranny is opened up.
Before you even get the parts ordered, the labor is at least equal to that
required to remove and replace the tranny.
On top of that, a few special tools are needed.
The last time I tore down a 5 speed to get at the 5th gear, we ended up
borrowing a tool or two from a Toyota dealer.
The internet can be used to locate and price a used tranny.

Trouble always comes when it's least wanted.

.. .

Stephen Toth September 8th 06 11:57 AM

94 Miata popping out of fifth gear

In article <AY9Mg.18124$SZ3.4183@dukeread04>, Chuck
> wrote:

> If that's the only problem, it's still cheaper to replace the tranny with a
> used one.
> The labor and parts on the repair will likely be quite a bit more than the
> labor and cost of putting in a used tranny.
> Used 5 speeds are not that expensive. Shipping one across the country does
> get a bit steep.
>
> The cause of the "pop out" is generally worn parts. Which ones and how many
> are guesswork until the tranny is opened up.
> Before you even get the parts ordered, the labor is at least equal to that
> required to remove and replace the tranny.
> On top of that, a few special tools are needed.
> The last time I tore down a 5 speed to get at the 5th gear, we ended up
> borrowing a tool or two from a Toyota dealer.
> The internet can be used to locate and price a used tranny.
>
> Trouble always comes when it's least wanted.
>
> "Doug Wilson" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >
> > "Chuck" > wrote in message
> > > Replace tranny with a used one?

> on

> > That's what my first suggestion was, but with loss of her job due to the
> > factory moving overseas, my friend's not in the best of financial health,
> > and was hoping to repair her tranny.

It is possible that the shifter seat is worn and just not pushing the
idler gear far enough. There are two nylon seats for the shift lever, a
top and a bottom and a wave washer (the wave washer is important).

Try replacing those especially if the shift lever seems to have a lot
of play in it. They are about $20 and not that hard a job.

Chris D'Agnolo September 10th 06 12:45 AM

94 Miata popping out of fifth gear

I don't know if this is possible but for some reason, I'm thinking about
motor mounts in reference to this. I would check out how much the motor is
moving around when you rev it. Another test is to put the parking brake on
and put some forward thrust against it with first gear. The hood has to be
up so someone can watch how much the motor moves. I seem to remember this
happening to a car I or a friend had, not sure it was a miata but it's
worth checking out.

Chris
99BBB

Doug Wilson September 10th 06 03:17 AM

94 Miata popping out of fifth gear

Thanks, Chris. I'll pass along the information.