AutoBanter

-   General (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Changing the Struts in a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=27010)

Jerz001 March 15th 05 12:25 AM

Changing the Struts in a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix

Hello All,
Ok, so I decided I was going to change the struts (all 4) on my 2001
Grand Prix. I got some new KYB GR-2 struts, a spring compressor, a 20
pack of bud and headed to my friends (He has all the tools). 5 hours
later, we have all four done and the car rides like a dream. So what's
the problem you ask... well on my way home I hit a *BIG* pot hole and
then started hearing a squiking sound from the front driver side strut.
So I look under the fender and can see that the top where the spring
sits is not sitting properly. I am not sure if the bearing plate broke
or if the bottom is not seated right. Here is the question. What parts
go on top of the strut. I know it may be a stupid question but I don't
remember if the bearing plate was one solid unit and there something
went between it and the spring (this probably has something to do with
the 20 pack). I'm thinking I'll just replace the front bearing plates
but need to assure I get all the right parts.

Thanks!