AutoBanter

-   Jeep (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Cherokee Leaf Springs stiffen UK (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=38609)

94JeepMan July 19th 05 03:20 PM

Cherokee Leaf Springs stiffen UK

Is there a way to generally stiffen up / revitalise my 94 Cherokee rear
leaf springs, thinking of a bolt on length of leaf to help my weakened
springs.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III July 19th 05 09:13 PM

An extra leaf does stiffen the ride, a plus for pulling a trailer,
but if you like the ride have them re-arced at your local spring shop.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Paul Bramscher July 19th 05 09:54 PM

I was on a big (like 3,500 mile roundtrip) roadtrip and lost a clamp on
the spring of my '98 Cherokee Sport. None of the mechanics could look
at it within a day or so, and I didn't want to waste time waiting for them.

Went to a hardware store, got 15-20 feet of decent gauge steel wire, and
wrapped the spring tight. Put on a couple hose clamps also. Held up
through the Rockies & Cascades.

But I called a junkyard today and they sell new springs for only $60
apiece. So that's where I'm headed in a week or two. A lot cheaper
than the Jeep dealer, I'll say that much.

Bowgus July 19th 05 10:15 PM

I'm very happy with the ride control air units ... at 30 psi they provide a
nice lift and lots of support for trailer towing/every day use without
stiffening the ride the way an extra spring would ... Here's a pic
still haven't gotten around to
routing those air lines. I may mount them as advised through the back bumper
for easy airing up (or down). They're advertised as taking loads up to 2000
lbs so if you're in the habit of hauling stuff with the jeep :-)