AutoBanter

-   General (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Mobil-1 product? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=15880)

Neon January 3rd 05 06:25 PM

New Mobil-1 product?

I was at Wal-Mart the other day buying a 5-quart jug of Mobil-1 5W-30 when I
noticed that they now had two different 5W-30 products in stock - one had
the normal blue cap, and other other had a grey cap. The product
description on the back of both containers was different - not sure if it
was just a packaging change, or a change in the product itself.
I checked the Mobil-1 website, but they didn't show anything about a change
in the forumulation. I remember over the past few years there has been
several formulation changes such as the move to tri-synthetic and more
recently SuperSyn. So, anyone know what changes were made this time?
Thanks.

Daniel J. Stern January 3rd 05 07:05 PM

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Neon wrote:

> I was at Wal-Mart the other day buying a 5-quart jug of Mobil-1 5W-30 when I
> noticed that they now had two different 5W-30 products in stock - one had
> the normal blue cap, and other other had a grey cap. The product
> description on the back of both containers was different - not sure if it
> was just a packaging change, or a change in the product itself.

Around here, Mobil-1 bottles work like this:

Dark grey cap: 0w-20
Light silver/grey cap (same color as bottle): 0w-30
Blue cap: 5w-30
Green cap: 10w-30
Red cap: 15w-50

Daniel J. Stern January 3rd 05 07:06 PM

Whoops, left out:

Black cap: 0w-40

Nate Nagel January 3rd 05 07:23 PM

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> Whoops, left out:
>
> Black cap: 0w-40

Where can you find that? I'm currently running 15W50, I think that may
be a bit much for the winter, but also think that an xW30 might thin out
too much on a hot freeway run. (old Porsche 944)

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Daniel J. Stern January 3rd 05 07:44 PM

http://www.mobil1.com/products/trisynth/oil_0w40.jsp

> I'm currently running 15W50, I think that may be a bit much for the
> winter

I just swapped 15w-50 for 5w-30 in my truck...which caused the weather to
break and above-freezing temperatures to return.

Nate Nagel January 3rd 05 09:08 PM

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Nate Nagel wrote:
>

>>>Black cap: 0w-40

>>Where can you find that?

> http://www.mobil1.com/products/trisynth/oil_0w40.jsp

I believe you that they make it, I guess I'm asking have you seen it in
any stores, and if so, which ones? (hopefully a chain that I have near me)

>>I'm currently running 15W50, I think that may be a bit much for the
>>winter

> I just swapped 15w-50 for 5w-30 in my truck...which caused the weather to
> break and above-freezing temperatures to return.

Yeah, today, changing the oil is not necessary.

Just got inside from washing the car (looks great with freshly
refinished wheels,) trying to decide if I care enough to colorsand the
hood and roof (Earl Scheib paint and baked-on squirrel crap do not a
pretty combination make...)

nate

Timothy J. Lee January 4th 05 08:12 PM

In article >,
Nate Nagel > wrote:
>Daniel J. Stern wrote:
>> Whoops, left out:
>>
>> Black cap: 0w-40

>Where can you find that?

That and the yellow cap 5W-40 I've seen at Kragen and Wal Mart.

Timothy J. Lee

[email protected] January 5th 05 03:53 PM

Yellow cap is actually Delvac 1 rebranded as M1 SUV. Some say it's
Mobil's best ever.