AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   No Power and backfire (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=73501)

Jakalope August 30th 06 05:23 PM

No Power and backfire

I have a 71 type 1 with a stock 1600 cc and a Bocar 34pict-3 carb. I
thought I had everything adjusted well. Today it started a little
backfiring and losing power after it was warm. When I take off from a
stop, or try to go up my driveway, it feels like there is no gas or
something, and then some soft pop, not a huge bang, but a backfire. I
dont have a steep driveway, but it took me 3 tries to get up it. I
turned the mixture counterclockwies and it did not seem to help. It
still just bogs out and pops when I give it gas. Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
John

Speedy Jim August 30th 06 08:34 PM

No Power and backfire

Jakalope wrote:

> I have a 71 type 1 with a stock 1600 cc and a Bocar 34pict-3 carb. I
> thought I had everything adjusted well. Today it started a little
> backfiring and losing power after it was warm. When I take off from a
> stop, or try to go up my driveway, it feels like there is no gas or
> something, and then some soft pop, not a huge bang, but a backfire. I
> dont have a steep driveway, but it took me 3 tries to get up it. I
> turned the mixture counterclockwies and it did not seem to help. It
> still just bogs out and pops when I give it gas. Any Ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> John

Sounds more like a timing/advance problem.
Bone stock with dual vac distrib??

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Jakalope August 31st 06 04:25 PM

No Power and backfire

> Bone stock with dual vac distrib??

I'm not sure what you mean by dual vac.

>From what I've been reading it does sound like timing. Would that go

overnight? Another thing I'm considering is it may be lower octane
gas. I may just get my Muir book out and do a Valve/timing/ tune up.
I think I'll try some premium gas first and see what happens. Easiest
and cheapest step first.

Thanks,
John

Speedy Jim August 31st 06 05:48 PM

No Power and backfire

Jakalope wrote:

>> Bone stock with dual vac distrib??

> I'm not sure what you mean by dual vac.
>
>>From what I've been reading it does sound like timing. Would that go

> overnight? Another thing I'm considering is it may be lower octane
> gas. I may just get my Muir book out and do a Valve/timing/ tune up.
> I think I'll try some premium gas first and see what happens. Easiest
> and cheapest step first.
>
> Thanks,
> John

The stock engine that year has (2) vacuum hoses to the distributor.

Does yours??
Jim

Jakalope August 31st 06 08:19 PM

No Power and backfire

> The stock engine that year has (2) vacuum hoses to the distributor.
>
> Does yours??
> Jim

I'll check tonight. I've been reading the Muir and Bentley books today
and getting some good info from them. I see my kids playing with their
legos. This car is like that. The major difference is that my wife
dosen't get ****ed when the kids want to play with legos for an
afternoon.

Jakalope September 1st 06 04:32 PM

No Power and backfire

> The stock engine that year has (2) vacuum hoses to the distributor.

There are two.

Speedy Jim September 1st 06 05:22 PM

No Power and backfire

Jakalope wrote:

>>The stock engine that year has (2) vacuum hoses to the distributor.
>>

> There are two.

Good.

Verify that they both work.
Suck on each hose and watch the advance plate.
It should move to the stop in each direction and stay there.

If it passes that test, check the initial timing.,
You *must* use a strobe light. The throttle must close fully
and the vac hoses left on. Timing is set at 5 degrees **AFTER** TDC!

Jim

Jakalope September 3rd 06 05:19 PM

No Power and backfire

Yesterday I adjusted the valves to .006 and regapped the points, using
my new dwell meter. It may have been the points because it now runs
like a different (very happy) car. I'm going to go ahead an check the
timing and pretty much go over everything. It seems the original issue
resolved.

I'm sure the more I do the more questions I'll have.

Thanks for the help.

John