AutoBanter

-   VW water cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   87 Golf rough start (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=58751)

Keith Park March 7th 06 03:05 AM

87 Golf rough start

87 Golf, CIS (No E)

Whenever I start it hot or warm it starts right up but runs poorly and
hesitates for the first 20 or 30 seconds or so. Is this NORMAL with todays
Crappy Gas vaporizing in the fuel lines?

Does anybodys 85-87 Golf have a nice pleasant hot start idle right off the
bat?

Thanks,

Keith

[email protected] March 7th 06 06:46 AM

87 Golf rough start

"Keith Park" > wrote:

>87 Golf, CIS (No E)
>
>Whenever I start it hot or warm it starts right up but runs poorly and
>hesitates for the first 20 or 30 seconds or so. Is this NORMAL with todays
>Crappy Gas vaporizing in the fuel lines?
>
>Does anybodys 85-87 Golf have a nice pleasant hot start idle right off the
>bat?

My '87 Golf with CIS has been doing basically the same thing
for 6 or 7 years. My car has 553K on it now, this started back when
the mileage was back in the 200K range.
It starts and idles fine when cold. Once warm it will start
and idle OK only if it has been sitting for less than 5 minutes or so.
If it sits longer than 5 mins it starts fine but runs really crappy
due to a rich mixture (a very rich mixture gives the exhaust a
distinctive smell). It will idle fine if I either let it fast idle
(foot on the pedal) for a minutes or so or start driving it for a few
seconds.
It has done this despite a new fuel pump, new fuel pump check
valve, new injectors as well as a different (used) warmup regulator,
frequency valve and ECU. I've come to the conclusion that the fuel
distributor is a fault, mainly due the fact that it is the only fuel
injection component not yet replaced. I have a rebuilt one ready to
install, just haven't got around to doing it yet.

Todd
Seattle,WA
'86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 261,000 miles
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (boring work car) 553,000 miles <- Yeah, baby!
http://www.pureluckdesign.com <-Ferrari & VW stuff

SFC March 7th 06 09:22 AM

87 Golf rough start

A typical case of vapour lock. The fuel pressure drops to quickly. It should
be at least above 1bar/14psi for about 20min after shut down. I changed all
the o-rings of the pressure regulating valve in the fuel distr. and it fixed
the problem.

SFC

Keith Park March 8th 06 01:58 AM

87 Golf rough start

Nice mileage! mine is a yongue pup with only 145Kmi!
Ive been of the impression that the problem is that modern Gasolene
vaporizes at a lower temperature and the fuel system gets vapor lock when
hot and is sure acts that way but Im up for any other opinions.

Ive done a tuneup but nothing else has ever been replaced, the idle mixture
was adjusted but that didnt help the hot start problem.

in 553K have you had to do any drivetrain work??

Keith
\

Keith Park March 8th 06 02:02 AM

87 Golf rough start

AHA! that makes sense... Ive never measured the fuel pressure. is it a big
job changing those O rings? my fuel dist is rather rusty....

THanks,

keith

. ..

[email protected] March 8th 06 05:59 AM

87 Golf rough start

"Keith Park" > wrote:

>Nice mileage! mine is a yongue pup with only 145Kmi!
> Ive been of the impression that the problem is that modern Gasolene
>vaporizes at a lower temperature and the fuel system gets vapor lock when
>hot and is sure acts that way but Im up for any other opinions.
>
>Ive done a tuneup but nothing else has ever been replaced, the idle mixture
>was adjusted but that didnt help the hot start problem.
>
>in 553K have you had to do any drivetrain work??

Have I ever. Rebuilt the motor at 360K. Original tranny went
at 330K, replaced it with a junkyard item which lasted for a couple of
years then put a proper rebuilt unit in. I've replaced most every
item that can be replaced - CVs, starter, radiators, suspension
bushings,etc,etc...

SFC March 8th 06 05:53 PM

87 Golf rough start

No. Unscrew the valve and replace the o-rings. Also look for small leaks
that could cause the pressure drop.

SFC

"Keith Park" > schreef in bericht

Keith Park March 9th 06 01:45 AM