AutoBanter

-   Alfa Romeo (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   More power to the 2.0 JTS (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=448)

Gareth Tuckwell September 23rd 04 12:37 PM

More power to the 2.0 JTS

I have a 2002 156 2.0 JTS...

A friend of mine has a 1.9 diesel Audi and is having it 'chipped'. This
should improve his BHP roughly 40%. Obviously emmisions will go up and
economy will go down, but my question is can I do something similar with my
156 2.0 JTS once it is out of
waranty??

I have seen chip re-programming mods, but they only give 5-10 more BHP (not
worth bothering with!).

Where should I go (I'm in south-east scotland) and how much should I expect
to pay??

Failing that - how much would I be looking at for a turbo or supercharger.

Also, what will be impact on my insurance be??

Thanks

Ian Riches September 23rd 04 01:40 PM

Gareth Tuckwell ) wrote...
> I have a 2002 156 2.0 JTS...

Lucky you. I still drive a Skoda and dream of Alfas...

> A friend of mine has a 1.9 diesel Audi and is having it 'chipped'. This
> should improve his BHP roughly 40%. Obviously emmisions will go up and
> economy will go down, but my question is can I do something similar with my
> 156 2.0 JTS once it is out of
> waranty??

No.

> I have seen chip re-programming mods, but they only give 5-10 more BHP (not
> worth bothering with!).

Indeed. That's because your friend's Audi has a turbo. Turbo cars
are much easier to wring extra horsepower out of.

> Where should I go (I'm in south-east scotland) and how much should I expect
> to pay??

Most chip upgrades cost in the region of UKP 300 to 500.

> Failing that - how much would I be looking at for a turbo or supercharger.

Lots. Not even worth thinking about, IMHO. You'd be better off
flogging the JTS and buying a GTA, or one of the JTD's and then
chipping that....

> Also, what will be impact on my insurance be??

It will go up ;-)

Ian
--
Ian Riches
Bedford, UK

Tom Boltwood September 23rd 04 03:07 PM

> From: Ian Riches >
> Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
> Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:40:28 +0100
> Subject: More power to the 2.0 JTS
>
> Gareth Tuckwell ) wrote...
>> I have a 2002 156 2.0 JTS...

> Lucky you. I still drive a Skoda and dream of Alfas...
>
>> A friend of mine has a 1.9 diesel Audi and is having it 'chipped'. This
>> should improve his BHP roughly 40%. Obviously emmisions will go up and
>> economy will go down, but my question is can I do something similar with my
>> 156 2.0 JTS once it is out of
>> waranty??

> No.
>
>> I have seen chip re-programming mods, but they only give 5-10 more BHP (not
>> worth bothering with!).

> Indeed. That's because your friend's Audi has a turbo. Turbo cars
> are much easier to wring extra horsepower out of.
>
>> Where should I go (I'm in south-east scotland) and how much should I expect
>> to pay??

> Most chip upgrades cost in the region of UKP 300 to 500.
>
>> Failing that - how much would I be looking at for a turbo or supercharger.

> Lots. Not even worth thinking about, IMHO. You'd be better off
> flogging the JTS and buying a GTA, or one of the JTD's and then
> chipping that....

I would disagree here. Don't know about the JTS, but Autodelta have
supercharged and turbocharged a few Twin Sparks. There are threads about
this on the forums of www.alfaowner.com and check out www.autodelta.co.uk

Alfistagj September 23rd 04 04:25 PM

"Tom Boltwood" > schreef in bericht

>>> Failing that - how much would I be looking at for a turbo or
>>> supercharger.

>> Lots. Not even worth thinking about, IMHO. You'd be better off
>> flogging the JTS and buying a GTA, or one of the JTD's and then
>> chipping that....

> I would disagree here. Don't know about the JTS, but Autodelta have
> supercharged and turbocharged a few Twin Sparks. There are threads about
> this on the forums of www.alfaowner.com and check out www.autodelta.co.uk

I guess I would agree!!
A turbo or kompressor kit will costs you about 5000 euro's (3500GBP) as a
kit.
Include another 1500 euro's (1000GBP) for assembly.
It would "only" give you a similar power boost as you would get from a
750-100 euro (that's doing the job correctly, so not with a chip from the
shelf) diesel chiptuning.

--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)