AutoBanter

-   Driving (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Nitpicky traffic law question: ATTN Jaybird (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=74369)

Allen Seth Dunn September 11th 06 09:51 PM

Nitpicky traffic law question: ATTN Jaybird

This is for jaybird, but anyone else can chime in if they'd like. When
coming out of a driveway onto a two-lane undivided road (one lane in
each direction with a double yellow line), is it technically illegal
for the driver coming out of the driveway to turn left and cross the
double yellow line, traffic permitting obviously?

C. E. White[_1_] September 12th 06 12:27 PM

Nitpicky traffic law question: ATTN Jaybird

"Allen Seth Dunn" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> This is for jaybird, but anyone else can chime in if they'd like. When
> coming out of a driveway onto a two-lane undivided road (one lane in
> each direction with a double yellow line), is it technically illegal
> for the driver coming out of the driveway to turn left and cross the
> double yellow line, traffic permitting obviously?

No! Why would you think that it would be illegal? The double yellow line
means it is illegal to pass a vehicle going in the same direction as you
are, not that you cannot cross the center of the road when making a turn
from or to a side street or driveway. Where I live, if they don't want you
to make a turn across the centerline (i.e., a left turn), they post a sign,
or often, in front of private drives, the state/city will install a concrete
median (usually a low one, just enough to discourage people, without
presenting a significant collision hazard). I have one of these in front of
the driveway to my apartment complex. I can't turn left to leave the
complex, or left to enter it. It is a pain in the rear, but I suppose a
necessary one since the street is very busy, it is near a raised exit, it is
just before a curve, and there are multiple businesses across the street.

Ed

Harry K September 12th 06 03:05 PM

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> "C. E. White" > said in
> rec.autos.driving:
>

> >"Allen Seth Dunn" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >> This is for jaybird, but anyone else can chime in if they'd like. When
> >> coming out of a driveway onto a two-lane undivided road (one lane in
> >> each direction with a double yellow line), is it technically illegal
> >> for the driver coming out of the driveway to turn left and cross the
> >> double yellow line, traffic permitting obviously?

> >No! Why would you think that it would be illegal?

> Actually this belief is quite common. I've been in cars (e.g. going to
> lunch with co-workers) where the driver refused to make a left turn
> across a double-yellow center line to get into a driveway; he went up
> to the next light and made a U-turn instead. When asked why, he
> claimed it was illegal to cross the double-yellow.
> --
> I'm a wreckless driver and damn proud of it!

Yeah. I have a 3 mile section of highway I regulary travel. It is 2
lane uphill, one lane down in a canyon. Has a lot of farm equipmen
dtraveling about 20 mph (55 posted). It is amazing how many people
will plug along behind a combine the entire 3 miles instead of crossing
the double yellow and passing. I think (not sure) that it is legal to
cross a double yellow to pass an obstruction like that.

Harry K

Brent P[_1_] September 12th 06 04:26 PM

In article . com>, Harry K wrote:

> Yeah. I have a 3 mile section of highway I regulary travel. It is 2
> lane uphill, one lane down in a canyon. Has a lot of farm equipmen
> dtraveling about 20 mph (55 posted). It is amazing how many people
> will plug along behind a combine the entire 3 miles instead of crossing
> the double yellow and passing. I think (not sure) that it is legal to
> cross a double yellow to pass an obstruction like that.

Probably one of the worst things I encounter while bicycling are these
people who refuse to pass. They'll stay right behind me, tailgating me so
should anything happen, I need to brake, hit a bad pot hole and fall,
whatever I am sure to be hit. They just won't pass no matter how much
encouragement I give them. A line of vehicles builds up behind them for
no good reason, when I finally get the timid driver to pass there is
usually at least one arsehole in the line that then blames me for the
delay. Um.. sorry, but the guy passed up 12 chances to pass, not my
fault.

Coming to a dead stop at the side of the road usually is even worse, as I
have to do it very gradually as not to get hit and then the timid driver
will also stop, blocking the road.

gpsman September 12th 06 05:30 PM

Nitpicky traffic law question: ATTN Jaybird

Brent P wrote: <brevity snip>

> Probably one of the worst things I encounter while bicycling are these
> people who refuse to pass. They'll stay right behind me, tailgating me so
> should anything happen, I need to brake, hit a bad pot hole and fall,
> whatever I am sure to be hit. They just won't pass no matter how much
> encouragement I give them.A line of vehicles builds up behind them for
> no good reason, when I finally get the timid driver to pass there is
> usually at least one arsehole in the line that then blames me for the
> delay. Um.. sorry, but the guy passed up 12 chances to pass, not my
> fault.
>
> Coming to a dead stop at the side of the road usually is even worse, as I
> have to do it very gradually as not to get hit and then the timid driver
> will also stop, blocking the road.

<spit take> Yes, yes, that all sounds perfectly plausible in the
alternate universe in which you reside.

Just one point. Since you're the same guy who is so fast on a bike he
often passes and leaves behind motorized traffic howcomewhyfor don't
you just accelerate away...?!

Please, make up your mind as to which of your stories I am to believe.
They are often in direct conflict with one another and any believeable
example of human abilities and/or behaviors.
-----

- gpsman

N8N September 12th 06 05:53 PM

gpsman wrote:
> Brent P wrote: <brevity snip>
>
> > Probably one of the worst things I encounter while bicycling are these
> > people who refuse to pass. They'll stay right behind me, tailgating me so
> > should anything happen, I need to brake, hit a bad pot hole and fall,
> > whatever I am sure to be hit. They just won't pass no matter how much
> > encouragement I give them.A line of vehicles builds up behind them for
> > no good reason, when I finally get the timid driver to pass there is
> > usually at least one arsehole in the line that then blames me for the
> > delay. Um.. sorry, but the guy passed up 12 chances to pass, not my
> > fault.
> >
> > Coming to a dead stop at the side of the road usually is even worse, as I
> > have to do it very gradually as not to get hit and then the timid driver
> > will also stop, blocking the road.

> <spit take> Yes, yes, that all sounds perfectly plausible in the
> alternate universe in which you reside.
>
> Just one point. Since you're the same guy who is so fast on a bike he
> often passes and leaves behind motorized traffic howcomewhyfor don't
> you just accelerate away...?!
>
> Please, make up your mind as to which of your stories I am to believe.
> They are often in direct conflict with one another and any believeable
> example of human abilities and/or behaviors.

troll, troll, troll your boat...

seriously, doesn't it get old being the slightly more literate version
of Aunt Judy?

nate

gpsman September 12th 06 06:40 PM

N8N wrote:
> gpsman wrote:
> > Brent P wrote: <brevity snip>
> >
> > > Probably one of the worst things I encounter while bicycling are these
> > > people who refuse to pass. They'll stay right behind me, tailgating me so
> > > should anything happen, I need to brake, hit a bad pot hole and fall,
> > > whatever I am sure to be hit. They just won't pass no matter how much
> > > encouragement I give them.A line of vehicles builds up behind them for
> > > no good reason, when I finally get the timid driver to pass there is
> > > usually at least one arsehole in the line that then blames me for the
> > > delay. Um.. sorry, but the guy passed up 12 chances to pass, not my
> > > fault.
> > >
> > > Coming to a dead stop at the side of the road usually is even worse, as I
> > > have to do it very gradually as not to get hit and then the timid driver
> > > will also stop, blocking the road.

> > <spit take> Yes, yes, that all sounds perfectly plausible in the
> > alternate universe in which you reside.
> >
> > Just one point. Since you're the same guy who is so fast on a bike he
> > often passes and leaves behind motorized traffic howcomewhyfor don't
> > you just accelerate away...?!
> >
> > Please, make up your mind as to which of your stories I am to believe.
> > They are often in direct conflict with one another and any believeable
> > example of human abilities and/or behaviors.

> troll, troll, troll your boat...
>
> seriously, doesn't it get old being the slightly more literate version
> of Aunt Judy?

Sorry you feel that way, but anyone who swallows Brent's traffic
stories has bull**** on their breath. And it's not a very high quality
bull**** either.

If you believe automobiles follow Brent on his bicycle and refuse to
pass even when he comes to a dead ****ing stop (sans room to pass for
Brent's safety) your critical thinking skills are in need of complete
overhaul.
-----

- gpsman

N8N September 12th 06 07:29 PM

gpsman wrote:
> N8N wrote:
> > gpsman wrote:
> > > Brent P wrote: <brevity snip>

> > > <spit take> Yes, yes, that all sounds perfectly plausible in the
> > > alternate universe in which you reside.
> > >
> > > Just one point. Since you're the same guy who is so fast on a bike he
> > > often passes and leaves behind motorized traffic howcomewhyfor don't
> > > you just accelerate away...?!
> > >
> > > Please, make up your mind as to which of your stories I am to believe.
> > > They are often in direct conflict with one another and any believeable
> > > example of human abilities and/or behaviors.

> > troll, troll, troll your boat...
> >
> > seriously, doesn't it get old being the slightly more literate version
> > of Aunt Judy?

> Sorry you feel that way, but anyone who swallows Brent's traffic
> stories has bull**** on their breath. And it's not a very high quality
> bull**** either.
>
> If you believe automobiles follow Brent on his bicycle and refuse to
> pass even when he comes to a dead ****ing stop (sans room to pass for
> Brent's safety) your critical thinking skills are in need of complete
> overhaul.

I believe it without question because I share the road with people just
that dumb every day.

nate

Ed White[_1_] September 12th 06 08:14 PM

Brent P wrote:

> Probably one of the worst things I encounter while bicycling are these
> people who refuse to pass. They'll stay right behind me, tailgating me....

Well I have similar frustration when moving farm equipment down a rual
road. Some of the newer residents of the area (and obviously retired
urban drivers from the north) refuse to pass me if there is a double
yellow line. Usually I don't even have the luxury of being able to pull
completely off the road. The best I can do is get way half out of the
lane.

Ed

Ed Pirrero September 13th 06 12:17 AM

gpsman wrote:
> N8N wrote:
> > gpsman wrote:
> > > Brent P wrote: <brevity snip>

> > > <spit take> Yes, yes, that all sounds perfectly plausible in the
> > > alternate universe in which you reside.
> > >
> > > Just one point. Since you're the same guy who is so fast on a bike he
> > > often passes and leaves behind motorized traffic howcomewhyfor don't
> > > you just accelerate away...?!
> > >
> > > Please, make up your mind as to which of your stories I am to believe.
> > > They are often in direct conflict with one another and any believeable
> > > example of human abilities and/or behaviors.

> > troll, troll, troll your boat...
> >
> > seriously, doesn't it get old being the slightly more literate version
> > of Aunt Judy?

> Sorry you feel that way, but anyone who swallows Brent's traffic
> stories has bull**** on their breath.

And he trolls on some more....

Yesterday, at a stoplight, a bicycle is behind me in the queue. Ahead
of me is someone in a large diesel dually PU. The PU accelerates away
from the stop line, and I match speeds, and the bicycle *matches my
speed all the way across the intersection!* Oddly, as soon as we come
to a small incline, I continue to accelerate up to travel speed,
leaving the cyclist behind.

Now, niether the truck nor I gave our vehicles WOT at the green, and
the truck may have been slightly slothy, but not so much one would pay
any mind. But the power to weight ratio and torque of a bike and rider
are plenty good enough for crossing an intersection quickly.

I'm not surprised that your lard ass has never seen a bike seat - not
since you were a kid, anyway.