AutoBanter

-   Corvette (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   'Hockey Puck" a Corvette (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=3699)

Jim M December 23rd 04 04:21 AM

'Hockey Puck" a Corvette

Hey there,

Again with my 1977 Vette.....BTW... I did all the brake calipers and
brake shoes etc.... job went without a hitch. The new timing chain, water
pump and entire front end is totally sealed and running fine with no leaks.

My next personal fix is to look at the rear leaf spring as the rear
wheels are sagging somewhat (very little really).. I was told by a buddy in
my corvette club that a person could get another year out of their sagging
rear leaf spring by drilling through two (Canadian eh) hockey pucks and
could be used as spacers....one on each end of the spring (drivers and
passenger side) to lift the car to make up for the sag.
I personally think this is kind of a radical type surgery but thought I
would throw this out to the corvette gurus out there.
Since we have a Hockey strike here in Canada...maybe I have a new market
for hockey pucks!.... Thoughts?

Thanks....Jim

Tom in Missouri December 23rd 04 07:18 AM

Quite often, the "sag" is normal. Check the heights in the service manual
to see if you are really sagging or not.

Even then, if you are, you may find that it is a matter of the bushings at
the spring ends to the bolts have mashed flatter than when new. Basically,
the hockey pucks are just acting like slightly thicker bushings.

Tom in Missouri December 23rd 04 07:18 AM

Bob G. December 23rd 04 02:31 PM

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 07:18:34 GMT, "Tom in Missouri" >
wrote:

>Quite often, the "sag" is normal. Check the heights in the service manual
>to see if you are really sagging or not.
>
>Even then, if you are, you may find that it is a matter of the bushings at
>the spring ends to the bolts have mashed flatter than when new. Basically,
>the hockey pucks are just acting like slightly thicker bushings.

Tom is correct....(As always..and I am serious the guy knows his
:stuff" )

.. But if you are going to go thru all that trouble...be advised that a
new Steel rear spring retails for only about 100 bucks ..just seems to
me that you may just want to replace it since you will have everything
apart anyhow...

I keep telling myself its only money....lol...

Bob Griffiths
64 72 76 79 & 95
68 Chevelle
..

Bob G. December 23rd 04 02:31 PM

Jim M December 23rd 04 04:11 PM

Okay, Thanks again guys...my manual doesn't give any proper heights...so am
going to search the web for these heights. If a hockey puck type bushing is
all I need, I think I will put them in just to last one more summer. Thanks
again. Jim

Jim M December 23rd 04 04:11 PM