AutoBanter

-   BMW (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   What does BMW stand for? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=2289)

Somebody November 30th 04 02:42 PM

What does BMW stand for?

"pete" > wrote in message
> I know what they letters BMW stand for colloquially but could some
> body tell me the actual meaning of the letters. Is it Bremen
> Motorwerken or something similar please?
> pete

Bayerische Motoren Werk.

Bavarian Motor Works, in English.

-Russ.

pltrgyst November 30th 04 02:42 PM

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:06:20 +0000, pete > wrote:

>I know what they letters BMW stand for colloquially but could some
>body tell me the actual meaning of the letters. Is it Bremen
>Motorwerken or something similar please?

Only if you think Bremen is in Bavaria. 8;)

Bayerischen Motoren Werke GmbH

-- Larry

bfd November 30th 04 06:01 PM

Somebody wrote:
> "pete" > wrote in message
> > I know what they letters BMW stand for colloquially but could some
> > body tell me the actual meaning of the letters. Is it Bremen
> > Motorwerken or something similar please?
> > pete

> Bayerische Motoren Werk.
>
> Bavarian Motor Works, in English.

Whew, that's a relief. I've owned my BMW for 9 years now (its a 90
535i, 5spd, 97K miles) and I always thought it meant
"Bring Money Willingly"...

Matt O'Toole November 30th 04 08:50 PM

Somebody wrote:

> "pete" > wrote in message

>> I know what they letters BMW stand for colloquially but could some
>> body tell me the actual meaning of the letters. Is it Bremen
>> Motorwerken or something similar please?
>> pete

> Bayerische Motoren Werk.
>
> Bavarian Motor Works, in English.

Yup, it started as an aircraft motor company. The logo is actually a stylized
propeller.

Matt O.

Ramone Cila November 30th 04 11:03 PM

"Matt O'Toole" > wrote in message
> Somebody wrote:
>
> > "pete" > wrote in message

> >> I know what they letters BMW stand for colloquially but could some
> >> body tell me the actual meaning of the letters. Is it Bremen
> >> Motorwerken or something similar please?
> >> pete

> > Bayerische Motoren Werk.
> >
> > Bavarian Motor Works, in English.

> Yup, it started as an aircraft motor company. The logo is actually a

stylized
> propeller.

OK, what does EMW stand for and what was their logo?

I'll bet Burns knows without looking :^)

Jeff Strickland December 1st 04 01:31 AM

"bfd" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Somebody wrote:
> > "pete" > wrote in message
> > > I know what they letters BMW stand for colloquially but could some
> > > body tell me the actual meaning of the letters. Is it Bremen
> > > Motorwerken or something similar please?
> > > pete

> > Bayerische Motoren Werk.
> >
> > Bavarian Motor Works, in English.
> >

> Whew, that's a relief. I've owned my BMW for 9 years now (its a 90
> 535i, 5spd, 97K miles) and I always thought it meant
> "Bring Money Willingly"...

Bring My Wallet ...

Matt O'Toole December 1st 04 04:37 AM

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> Bring My Wallet ...

Break My Window...

Matt O.

mjc December 1st 04 05:17 AM

BMW= Break My Wallet !

Badger December 1st 04 01:46 PM

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

< snip >
>> > Bayerische Motoren Werk.
>> >
>> > Bavarian Motor Works, in English.
>> >

>> Whew, that's a relief. I've owned my BMW for 9 years now (its a 90
>> 535i, 5spd, 97K miles) and I always thought it meant
>> "Bring Money Willingly"...
>>

> Bring My Wallet ...

My father always said "Bavarian Made Waste"! Shows how much he knew about
cars! (Well, he did work for British Leyland at the time!!!) ;-)

Badger.

Dave Plowman (News) December 1st 04 02:58 PM

In article >,
Jeff Strickland > wrote:
> > Whew, that's a relief. I've owned my BMW for 9 years now (its a 90
> > 535i, 5spd, 97K miles) and I always thought it meant
> > "Bring Money Willingly"...

> Bring My Wallet ...

Or by some, with more than a tad of jealousy, Black Man's Wheels.

--
*Why is it that to stop Windows 95, you have to click on "Start"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.