AutoBanter

-   Driving (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   IEEE Spectrum article on plug-in hybrids (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=38352)

223rem July 16th 05 03:04 PM

IEEE Spectrum article on plug-in hybrids

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY.../0705ncar.html

Interesting!

fbloogyudsr July 16th 05 04:21 PM

"223rem" > wrote
> http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY.../0705ncar.html
>
> Interesting!

Only slightly interesting. Some of the proponents came across
as real whackos and IMO didn't help their cause. Their view of
the situation wasn't very practical from an engineering standpoint
(cost vs. benefit of adding expensive and heavy batteries.)

The interesting thing about the article (to me) is seeing a combination
of left-wing enviros working together with right-wing "Get US out
of the UN" energy independence freaks ;->

FloydR, Member, IEEE

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend July 16th 05 05:00 PM

Hey loonbag. No one is gonna respond to you until you come up with a
non-psychopath name.

Paul Hovnanian P.E. July 17th 05 05:19 AM

223rem wrote:

> http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY.../0705ncar.html
>
> Interesting!

Unless most of your electrical power comes from coal. Then you're better
off burning petroleum products.

--
Paul Hovnanian
RAM disk is *not* an installation procedure.

Pooh Bear July 18th 05 12:26 AM

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:

> 223rem wrote:
> >
> > http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY.../0705ncar.html
> >
> > Interesting!

> Unless most of your electrical power comes from coal. Then you're better
> off burning petroleum products.

Sure ?

How does the thermal efficeincy of a gasoline fuelled engine compare to
power plant ?

Graham

fbloogyudsr July 18th 05 01:05 AM

"Pooh Bear" > wrote
> "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:
>> 223rem wrote:
>> >
>> > http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY.../0705ncar.html
>> >
>> > Interesting!

>> Unless most of your electrical power comes from coal. Then you're better
>> off burning petroleum products.

> Sure ?
>
> How does the thermal efficeincy of a gasoline fuelled engine compare to
> power plant ?

IIRC, gas engines are around 25-30% efficient, coal plants around 40%.
But gasoline burns much more cleanly than coal - don't forget pollution,
which is much higher for coal-fired plants, plus there are about 10% losses
in distribution...

Floyd