AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   How do you fix a short hose without disassembling the engine? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=26763)

mike March 12th 05 01:58 AM

How do you fix a short hose without disassembling the engine?

My neighbor has an old Ford truck. There's a coolant hose between the
water pump and the intake manifold. The distance between the pump and
the manifold is about two inches. But the gap between the ends of the
pipes is only about 0.3".
Cutting the old hose off was easy. How do you get
the new hose on without taking off the water pump?

Thanks, mike
..
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

Comboverfish March 12th 05 02:36 AM

mike wrote:
> My neighbor has an old Ford truck. There's a coolant hose between

the
> water pump and the intake manifold. The distance between the pump

and
> the manifold is about two inches. But the gap between the ends of

the
> pipes is only about 0.3".
> Cutting the old hose off was easy. How do you get
> the new hose on without taking off the water pump?
>
> Thanks, mike
> --
> Return address is VALID but some sites block emails
> with links. Delete this sig when replying.
> .
> Wanted, PCMCIA SCSI Card for HP m820 CDRW.
> FS 500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
> Wanted, 12.1" LCD for Gateway Solo 5300. Samsung LT121SU-121
> Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
> MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
> ht<removethis>tp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/

At 0.3" as you measured, I would say its near impossible. You could
try cutting a piece just barely shorter than the old hose length. Lube
the inside with soap or silicone (something that will dry after
installation and not remain slippery). Push the hose as hard as you
can onto one pipe, trying to somewhat compress it. Then bend the hose
at 90 degrees (the hard part) and pull down on the leading edge towards
the other pipe while trying to work it on with a hose removal pick or
similar thin blunt tool. If you CAN get it started at all, you should
be able to work the entire diameter of the hose on to the second pipe
eventually without further damage.

Now the answer you didn't want to hear. You should replace it while
replacing the waterpump.

Toyota MDT in MO

sdlomi2 March 12th 05 03:30 AM

"Comboverfish" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> mike wrote:
> > My neighbor has an old Ford truck. There's a coolant hose between

> the
> > water pump and the intake manifold. The distance between the pump

> and
> > the manifold is about two inches. But the gap between the ends of

> the
> > pipes is only about 0.3".
> > Cutting the old hose off was easy. How do you get
> > the new hose on without taking off the water pump?
> >
> > Thanks, mike
> > --
> > Return address is VALID but some sites block emails
> > with links. Delete this sig when replying.
> > .
> > Wanted, PCMCIA SCSI Card for HP m820 CDRW.
> > FS 500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
> > Wanted, 12.1" LCD for Gateway Solo 5300. Samsung LT121SU-121
> > Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
> > MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
> > ht<removethis>tp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/

> At 0.3" as you measured, I would say its near impossible. You could
> try cutting a piece just barely shorter than the old hose length. Lube
> the inside with soap or silicone (something that will dry after
> installation and not remain slippery). Push the hose as hard as you
> can onto one pipe, trying to somewhat compress it. Then bend the hose
> at 90 degrees (the hard part) and pull down on the leading edge towards
> the other pipe while trying to work it on with a hose removal pick or
> similar thin blunt tool. If you CAN get it started at all, you should
> be able to work the entire diameter of the hose on to the second pipe
> eventually without further damage.
>
> Now the answer you didn't want to hear. You should replace it while
> replacing the waterpump.
>
> Toyota MDT in MO

My sentiments, also. But, believe me when I say it WILL go on. Slicken
it up good, as advised above, and place it near a heat outlet in your
house--or similar. As it gets warmer, it becomes more flexible. Just get
into no hurry and HAVE FAITH. It will work, as I've done it numerous times.
Keep in mind that if you use worm clamps, they can be installed AFTER the
little bugger is in place--unscrew a clamp all the way, wrap around
installed hose, re-insert male end into female and begin screwing.
HTH & good luck, s

Mike Romain March 12th 05 03:45 AM

sdlomi2 wrote:

> "Comboverfish" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > mike wrote:
> > > My neighbor has an old Ford truck. There's a coolant hose between

> > the
> > > water pump and the intake manifold. The distance between the pump

> > and
> > > the manifold is about two inches. But the gap between the ends of

> > the
> > > pipes is only about 0.3".
> > > Cutting the old hose off was easy. How do you get
> > > the new hose on without taking off the water pump?
> > >
> > > Thanks, mike
> > > --
> > > Return address is VALID but some sites block emails
> > > with links. Delete this sig when replying.
> > > .
> > > Wanted, PCMCIA SCSI Card for HP m820 CDRW.
> > > FS 500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
> > > Wanted, 12.1" LCD for Gateway Solo 5300. Samsung LT121SU-121
> > > Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
> > > MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
> > > ht<removethis>tp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/

> > At 0.3" as you measured, I would say its near impossible. You could
> > try cutting a piece just barely shorter than the old hose length. Lube
> > the inside with soap or silicone (something that will dry after
> > installation and not remain slippery). Push the hose as hard as you
> > can onto one pipe, trying to somewhat compress it. Then bend the hose
> > at 90 degrees (the hard part) and pull down on the leading edge towards
> > the other pipe while trying to work it on with a hose removal pick or
> > similar thin blunt tool. If you CAN get it started at all, you should
> > be able to work the entire diameter of the hose on to the second pipe
> > eventually without further damage.
> >
> > Now the answer you didn't want to hear. You should replace it while
> > replacing the waterpump.
> >
> > Toyota MDT in MO
> >

> My sentiments, also. But, believe me when I say it WILL go on. Slicken
> it up good, as advised above, and place it near a heat outlet in your
> house--or similar. As it gets warmer, it becomes more flexible. Just get
> into no hurry and HAVE FAITH. It will work, as I've done it numerous times.
> Keep in mind that if you use worm clamps, they can be installed AFTER the
> little bugger is in place--unscrew a clamp all the way, wrap around
> installed hose, re-insert male end into female and begin screwing.
> HTH & good luck, s

I agree, it can be done, but it is a trial of patience and holding your
tongue 'just' right. ;-)

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Backbone March 12th 05 10:06 AM

smear some coolant on the replacement hose and fittings. then try it
--
Remove *flaps* to reply

doug March 14th 05 12:05 AM

Back in the day when I worked as a mechanic, we would take a hacksaw blade
and trim each pipe so it was just as long as the width of a good quality
hose clamp. Never had a callback.

doug

sdlomi2 March 15th 05 06:05 AM

"doug" > wrote in message
> Back in the day when I worked as a mechanic, we would take a hacksaw blade
> and trim each pipe so it was just as long as the width of a good quality
> hose clamp. Never had a callback.
>
> doug

Quite a neat idea. We all need to pay attention to this.....s

Mike Romain March 15th 05 04:16 PM

I was remembering over the weekend that they also used to sell thin
walled corrugated tubes to do exactly what the OP wants.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's