AutoBanter

-   Antique cars (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Can you identify this car? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=7827)

Brian January 15th 05 12:40 AM

Can you identify this car?

Can anyone identify this car? Also, is there a way to find out who owned
the car (or other information) by the license plate? It has a Pennsylvania
license plate that appears to be from 1920 (according to information at:
http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/k/rkretsch....htm#pass06-09 )

Small version: http://home.cwru.edu/~bct4/Unknown_002_small.png (270KB)
High-res version: http://home.cwru.edu/~bct4/Unknown_002.png (4MB)

From other discussions I've had, people have said that it is not a Dodge,
Oldsmobile, Star, Durant, Gray Dort, or Elgin Motor Car.

Thanks.

Professor January 16th 05 11:20 PM

I can't say about the car, but that gentleman standing next to the car
must have got his tie caught in the crank.

Riteous Right Reverend Mahmoud Bin Changstein January 21st 05 02:43 PM

It appears strikingly similar to a Hupmobile model R

Brian January 22nd 05 05:06 PM

Which type of Model R? There aren't that many that have a windshield with a
straight bottom edge.

I found several listed at the site below, but I'm not sure which it might be
(if any).

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/...ile/modelr.htm

"Riteous Right Reverend Mahmoud Bin Changstein" > wrote in
message ...

Brian January 22nd 05 09:47 PM

Isn't the radiator emblem different though?

http://americanhistory.si.edu/onthem...bject_221.html

Brian January 22nd 05 10:03 PM

The radiator cap looks like an angel or some sort of winged... thing.

Rabbit January 22nd 05 10:05 PM

"Brian" > wrote in message
> The radiator cap looks like an angel or some sort of winged... thing.

That's a Motometer. Early cars didn't have temperature gauges, and the
Motometer contains a thermometer to give a reading of the coolant
temperature inside the radiator. Some manufacturers offered them as options,
and others were bought aftermarket and added by the car owners, so they
really don't help much with identification.

Rabbit

Brian January 22nd 05 10:15 PM

Thanks for the clarification.

Jim M February 4th 05 01:48 AM

I beleive it could be a 1920 Hudson. I did a Google search for that vehicle
and it sure looks like one from the photo you have ........Jim

me May 9th 05 03:42 AM

Couldn't help you out with the car but I took the liberty of having a 'play'
with the photograph.
Unfortunately, I ran out of time but here's where I'm at so far.
http://shonoel.bravehost.com/
Noel
Brisbane, Australia