AutoBanter

-   Mazda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Blown Horn/Brake Light Fuse (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=69561)

Mazda99 July 12th 06 03:31 AM

Blown Horn/Brake Light Fuse

I have a 1999 Miata MX5 that recently has started to have the 15 amp
fuse that serves the horn and brake lights (and I'm sure a few more
things) blow occassionally. As this is intermittent, I'm struggling on
where to start looking. Anyone had a similar problem and can give me a
clue as to where to start looking for the problem?? Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Natman July 13th 06 12:12 AM

Blown Horn/Brake Light Fuse

On 11 Jul 2006 19:31:24 -0700, "Mazda99" > wrote:

>I have a 1999 Miata MX5 that recently has started to have the 15 amp
>fuse that serves the horn and brake lights (and I'm sure a few more
>things) blow occassionally. As this is intermittent, I'm struggling on
>where to start looking. Anyone had a similar problem and can give me a
>clue as to where to start looking for the problem?? Any help would be
>greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks!

Are you using the stock horn? It is not uncommon for air horns to blow
the 15 amp fuse.

Mazda99 July 13th 06 04:51 AM

Blown Horn/Brake Light Fuse

As far as I know, this is the original horn. I bought my Miata used
and there were no other customizations, so I'd expect it's the original
horn. As there are other things on this circuit, it may not be the
horn.

I've been trying to find the conditions that make it blow. I've put a
new fuse in the morning, driven the car to work and everything is fine.
Once I come out in the heat of the day, it's still fine until I drive
it for the first time (for only a few minutes)- after which it's blown
again. Don't know yet if this is a pattern or not, just what I
discovered today.

Keep the clues coming. I'll be going hard at trying to find the short
this weekend and any list of best places to start would be appreciated.
I also don't have a wiring diagram for this, unfortunately - does
anyone have a diagram of this circuit?

Thanks,

John

¢ July 13th 06 06:24 AM

Blown Horn/Brake Light Fuse

A long shot, You have a wire going up to the third brake light in the trunk
lid. Check the condition of the wire in the left hinge.

¢

ups.com...

Mazda99 July 14th 06 05:11 AM

Blown Horn/Brake Light Fuse

Thanks for the clue - I'll be sure to check that first!!