AutoBanter

-   Driving (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Another idiot (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=71533)

barking pumpkin August 5th 06 05:30 PM

Another idiot

While cruising down I-25 yesterday, another idiot in a truck (this time
a pickup) changed lanes only feet in front of me - probably about 5 feet
- while I was about to pass him - yes, I was speeding - about 3 miles
over the limit of 75 and he was doing about 5 less than I was. (yeah, I
know 78 in a 75 is slow, but I was passing people and there was no
traffic stacked up behind me).

I'm sure this is yet another example of my incompetence (that's sarcasm,
BTW).

How ****ing difficult is it to look before you change lanes?

When will we prevent people who can't even think to do that from getting
behind the wheel in the first place?

Eeyore[_1_] August 5th 06 06:43 PM

Another idiot

barking pumpkin wrote:

> While cruising down I-25 yesterday, another idiot in a truck (this time
> a pickup) changed lanes only feet in front of me - probably about 5 feet
> - while I was about to pass him - yes, I was speeding - about 3 miles
> over the limit of 75 and he was doing about 5 less than I was. (yeah, I
> know 78 in a 75 is slow, but I was passing people and there was no
> traffic stacked up behind me).
>
> I'm sure this is yet another example of my incompetence (that's sarcasm,
> BTW).
>
> How ****ing difficult is it to look before you change lanes?
>
> When will we prevent people who can't even think to do that from getting
> behind the wheel in the first place?

It certainly won't improve whilst the USA has negligible adequate driving
tuition and an easy test.

Graham

OM August 6th 06 11:20 PM

Another idiot

Eeyore wrote:

> barking pumpkin wrote:
>
>> While cruising down I-25 yesterday, another idiot in a truck (this time
>> a pickup) changed lanes only feet in front of me - probably about 5 feet
>> - while I was about to pass him - yes, I was speeding - about 3 miles
>> over the limit of 75 and he was doing about 5 less than I was. (yeah, I
>> know 78 in a 75 is slow, but I was passing people and there was no
>> traffic stacked up behind me).
>>
>> I'm sure this is yet another example of my incompetence (that's sarcasm,
>> BTW).
>>
>> How ****ing difficult is it to look before you change lanes?
>>
>> When will we prevent people who can't even think to do that from getting
>> behind the wheel in the first place?

> It certainly won't improve whilst the USA has negligible adequate driving
> tuition and an easy test.
>
> Graham

And some people don't even have their driver's licenses, and that
doesn't stop them from driving...

Mark Hewitt August 7th 06 10:03 AM

Another idiot

"barking pumpkin" > wrote in message
. ..
> While cruising down I-25 yesterday, another idiot in a truck (this time a
> pickup) changed lanes only feet in front of me - probably about 5 feet -
> while I was about to pass him - yes, I was speeding - about 3 miles over
> the limit of 75 and he was doing about 5 less than I was. (yeah, I know
> 78 in a 75 is slow, but I was passing people and there was no traffic
> stacked up behind me).
>
> I'm sure this is yet another example of my incompetence (that's sarcasm,
> BTW).
>
> How ****ing difficult is it to look before you change lanes?
>
> When will we prevent people who can't even think to do that from getting
> behind the wheel in the first place?

Let that be a lesson to you, don't loiter in peoples blind spots.

Larry Bud August 7th 06 04:37 PM

Another idiot

Mark Hewitt wrote:
> "barking pumpkin" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > While cruising down I-25 yesterday, another idiot in a truck (this time a
> > pickup) changed lanes only feet in front of me - probably about 5 feet -
> > while I was about to pass him - yes, I was speeding - about 3 miles over
> > the limit of 75 and he was doing about 5 less than I was. (yeah, I know
> > 78 in a 75 is slow, but I was passing people and there was no traffic
> > stacked up behind me).
> >
> > I'm sure this is yet another example of my incompetence (that's sarcasm,
> > BTW).
> >
> > How ****ing difficult is it to look before you change lanes?
> >
> > When will we prevent people who can't even think to do that from getting
> > behind the wheel in the first place?

> Let that be a lesson to you, don't loiter in peoples blind spots.

The OP was passing said vehicle. How do you propose he pass someone
without going through his blindspot?

Erik Meltzer August 7th 06 04:53 PM

Another idiot

Hi!

Larry Bud wrote:
> Mark Hewitt wrote:
> > Let that be a lesson to you, don't loiter in peoples blind spots.

> The OP was passing said vehicle. How do you propose he pass someone
> without going through his blindspot?

You know, you made me (not a native speaker of English) look up
the word "to loiter". I found that it does actually mean what I
intuitively understood it to mean upon reading Mark's post: to
hang around somewhere longer than necessary.

Now, should it be a lesson to you that I, despite not knowing
the word, understood him correctly while you, a native speaker
presumably, didn't?

I think it should.

Yours,
Erik.
--
"I've got better taste than to want to see nude pictures
of any girl that would date me."

N8N August 7th 06 07:30 PM

Another idiot

barking pumpkin wrote:
> While cruising down I-25 yesterday, another idiot in a truck (this time
> a pickup) changed lanes only feet in front of me - probably about 5 feet
> - while I was about to pass him - yes, I was speeding - about 3 miles
> over the limit of 75 and he was doing about 5 less than I was. (yeah, I
> know 78 in a 75 is slow, but I was passing people and there was no
> traffic stacked up behind me).
>
> I'm sure this is yet another example of my incompetence (that's sarcasm,
> BTW).
>
> How ****ing difficult is it to look before you change lanes?
>
> When will we prevent people who can't even think to do that from getting
> behind the wheel in the first place?

Not any time soon, apparently. I got run off the road by an impatient
bint in a Honda on Saturday; the guy in the left lane wasn't
accelerating fast enough for her, she wanted to whip around on the
right, and I was beside her - but that didn't stop her! fortunately
the road we were on had a wide, paved shoulder.

Just this AM I was on the beltway and after changing lanes to the left
to pass some slower traffic looked in my mirror to see a H2 heading
from the hammer lane right into my left quarter panel - no signal, and
apparently no checking to see if the lane was clear, either.
Fortunately he caught sight of me in time, because Vlad the Impala can
only accelerate so fast.

It's only a matter of time before I actually get hit by one of these
idiots; I feel like I'm running on luck. I've lived here off and on
for about seven years; only car-car interfaces I've had were two low
speed rear-enders (where I was the rear-endee) with no damage, and an
incident where someone backed into the side of the Porsche while it was
parked and ran off without leaving a note. I bitch about the high cost
of insurance, but I can certainly understand *why* it's so high.

nate

laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE August 8th 06 05:49 AM

Another idiot

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 09:30:15 -0700, barking pumpkin > wrote:

>While cruising down I-25 yesterday, another idiot in a truck (this time
>a pickup) changed lanes only feet in front of me - probably about 5 feet
>- while I was about to pass him - yes, I was speeding - about 3 miles
>over the limit of 75 and he was doing about 5 less than I was. (yeah, I
>know 78 in a 75 is slow, but I was passing people and there was no
>traffic stacked up behind me).
>
>I'm sure this is yet another example of my incompetence (that's sarcasm,
>BTW).
>
>How ****ing difficult is it to look before you change lanes?
>
>When will we prevent people who can't even think to do that from getting
>behind the wheel in the first place?

The way to prevent this is to take away the license of people who
cause crashes. People would be more careful if they knew that they
would lose their license for at least 3 months if they were found at
fault in any crash. But criminal coddler america says no - it was an
accident and forget it.

anon August 8th 06 05:56 AM

Another idiot

> The way to prevent this is to take away the license of
> people who
> cause crashes. People would be more careful if they
> knew that they
> would lose their license for at least 3 months if they
> were found at
> fault in any crash. But criminal coddler america says
> no - it was an
> accident and forget it.

while we're at it, we should take away the Internet
privileges of
asshole usenet trolls like yourself. But America says
"no -- he has a right
to annoy people."

Steve Sobol August 8th 06 07:23 AM

Another idiot

anon wrote:

> while we're at it, we should take away the Internet
> privileges of
> asshole usenet trolls like yourself. But America says
> "no -- he has a right
> to annoy people."

Does anyone besides me think the troll acts like a jerk because it got its
driver's license revoked sometime in the past? In that case, the mentality is
"if I'm not allowed to drive, no one else should be either."

--
Steve Sobol, Professional Geek ** Java/VB/VC/PHP/Perl ** Linux/*BSD/Windows
Apple Valley, California PGP:0xE3AE35ED

It's all fun and games until someone starts a bonfire in the living room.