AutoBanter

-   Ford Mustang (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Megiars Vinyl Protectant??? Aren't all "protectants" bad? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=67376)

[email protected] June 13th 06 05:00 AM

Megiars Vinyl Protectant??? Aren't all "protectants" bad?

I've read that vinyl protectants are actually bad for your interior as
they act as a wick to pull more chemicals out of your vinyl as they
evaporate. But I've also seen meguiars brand of vinyl protectant at my
local auto store. Meguiars is a pretty reputable company from what I
can tell, so now I'm wondering if all the "vinyl protectant is bad for
your interior" stuff is just bull****. Does the meguiars stuff work
differently than armor all or do they all work chemically the same?

Brent P June 13th 06 05:47 AM

In article .com>, wrote:
> I've read that vinyl protectants are actually bad for your interior as
> they act as a wick to pull more chemicals out of your vinyl as they
> evaporate. But I've also seen meguiars brand of vinyl protectant at my
> local auto store. Meguiars is a pretty reputable company from what I
> can tell, so now I'm wondering if all the "vinyl protectant is bad for
> your interior" stuff is just bull****. Does the meguiars stuff work
> differently than armor all or do they all work chemically the same?

there are the crap ones and the good ones. I use lexol vinylex. of course
I only use it like twice a year. I've had this same bottle for a
couple-three years. It seems to work quite well. I even use it to bring
new life into the paper pickup rubber 'wheel' on my old laser printer ;)

Spike June 13th 06 05:48 AM

On 12 Jun 2006 21:00:01 -0700, wrote:

>I've read that vinyl protectants are actually bad for your interior as
>they act as a wick to pull more chemicals out of your vinyl as they
>evaporate. But I've also seen meguiars brand of vinyl protectant at my
>local auto store. Meguiars is a pretty reputable company from what I
>can tell, so now I'm wondering if all the "vinyl protectant is bad for
>your interior" stuff is just bull****. Does the meguiars stuff work
>differently than armor all or do they all work chemically the same?

Never heard that one. I do know that some of them will build up layers
and it's hell to get the stuff back off.... except when you're driving
and it comes off on your hands.
--

Spike
w/Black Std Interior, A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok;

[email protected] June 14th 06 01:17 AM

Megiars Vinyl Protectant??? Aren't all "protectants" bad?

wrote:

I believe it has something to do with alcohol, or amount of alcohol, in
the protectant. Supposedly Armour All is really bad. Personally, I
use Meguiars and have had good luck with it. But do any of them really
help protect your vinyl, who knows?

Patrick

Spike June 14th 06 05:33 AM

On 13 Jun 2006 17:17:07 -0700, wrote:

wrote:

>I believe it has something to do with alcohol, or amount of alcohol, in
>the protectant. Supposedly Armour All is really bad. Personally, I
>use Meguiars and have had good luck with it. But do any of them really
>help protect your vinyl, who knows?
>
>Patrick
>

>> I've read that vinyl protectants are actually bad for your interior as
>> they act as a wick to pull more chemicals out of your vinyl as they
>> evaporate. But I've also seen meguiars brand of vinyl protectant at my
>> local auto store. Meguiars is a pretty reputable company from what I
>> can tell, so now I'm wondering if all the "vinyl protectant is bad for
>> your interior" stuff is just bull****. Does the meguiars stuff work
>> differently than armor all or do they all work chemically the same?

I used to use Armour All... No more. That stuff just built up layer
upon layer. As if it were not bad enough I used it, the car wash
detailing place also used it.

[email protected] June 16th 06 03:45 AM

Megiars Vinyl Protectant??? Aren't all "protectants" bad?

I've decided I'll just use a moist cloth to clean my vinyl interior.
What about leather though, is there such a controversy over leather
protectants? Anything I should stay away from?

[email protected] June 16th 06 09:36 PM

On 15 Jun 2006 19:45:50 -0700, wrote:

>I've decided I'll just use a moist cloth to clean my vinyl interior.
>What about leather though, is there such a controversy over leather
>protectants? Anything I should stay away from?

A good saddle soap to keep it clean and supple.