AutoBanter

-   Saturn (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Saturn AC Blows Fuse (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=35964)

david p via CarKB.com June 20th 05 03:26 AM

Saturn AC Blows Fuse

Hello, I looking for some answers to something that probably has the
impossible answer of "Take it to the Dealer". I have a 2001 satun l200.
Worked great until last week. The AC compressor doesnt kick on. I checked the
fuse and it was blown. I replaced it and started it and it blew again. So I
read a few postings and saw that it could be the compressor coil, so I
disconnected the coil and it still bew the fuse. I removed the AC Diode
replaced it with a small 2 amp fuse and it blew that fuse but not the ac fuse
and the compresor still dindnt turn on, so I replaced the relay and nothing
still blows. Its getting hot here and I need AC, any Ideas???

Thanks

Oppie June 20th 05 04:31 PM

The Diode is never supposed to be replaced with a fuse. The diode is in
parallel with the AC clutch coil to protect the electronics.
Check if there is a relay that powers the AC clutch. Could also be a pinched
wiring harness that is shorting out. These things are difficult to trace out
without a good wiring diagram.

david p via CarKB.com June 21st 05 05:13 AM

Oppie wrote:
>The Diode is never supposed to be replaced with a fuse. The diode is in
>parallel with the AC clutch coil to protect the electronics.
>Check if there is a relay that powers the AC clutch. Could also be a pinched
>wiring harness that is shorting out. These things are difficult to trace out
>without a good wiring diagram.
>
>> Hello, I looking for some answers to something that probably has the
>> impossible answer of "Take it to the Dealer". I have a 2001 satun l200.

>[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]
>>
>> Thanks

Thanks for the info, I have torn the car apart looking for some sort of
pinched or corroded wire and nothing, Nothing has been replaced so I dont see
why there would be a pinched wire. It just stopped working one day. I will
look for the AC Clutch relay and hope that works. This is very frustrating
but I really do appreciate your help. Thanks

Oppie June 21st 05 01:40 PM

"david p via CarKB.com" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the info, I have torn the car apart looking for some sort of
> pinched or corroded wire and nothing, Nothing has been replaced so I dont
> see
> why there would be a pinched wire. It just stopped working one day. I will
> look for the AC Clutch relay and hope that works. This is very frustrating
> but I really do appreciate your help. Thanks

I do have the shop manual set for the 2000-2001 L series. The index is
practically non-existent which makes finding specific info difficult. If you
are really in a bind, I could scan a few pages for you. No promises though,
been really busy lately.
If you need it, you may email me at robert_oppenheimer at hotmail dot com
Oppie

david p via CarKB.com June 21st 05 04:30 PM

Wow Robert that is very kind of you, but after another wasted evening of
looking at bundles of wires and reading very small print I have decided to
let the experts give it a try. The dealer has won and insted of giving me a
few ideas of were to find the problem, I will have to take it to a
professional. But I will get the last laugh, they already got my 21k for the
car I am not going to give them any more of my money I will instead take it
to a local A/C shop and keep my money with in my comunity and not to a huge
nation wide car dealer that can live without my 200 dollars for the repair.
Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it. David