AutoBanter

-   Driving (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   bad crosswalk experience (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=8237)

Tim923 January 11th 05 04:04 AM

bad crosswalk experience

It seems that cars in my new town don't look out for pedestrians as
much as in my old town. Does this vary from state to state?

Nate Nagel January 11th 05 04:32 AM

Tim923 wrote:

> It seems that cars in my new town don't look out for pedestrians as
> much as in my old town. Does this vary from state to state?

Let me guess, you grew up in a place like Bethesda where SOP is "step
into road, let drivers stop for you." Fortunately, it's not like that
everywhere.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Nate Nagel January 11th 05 04:32 AM

Skip Elliott Bowman January 11th 05 04:53 AM

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> Tim923 wrote:
>
>> It seems that cars in my new town don't look out for pedestrians as
>> much as in my old town. Does this vary from state to state?

> Let me guess, you grew up in a place like Bethesda where SOP is "step into
> road, let drivers stop for you." Fortunately, it's not like that
> everywhere.

I took a visit to Nanaimo BC last year. I was looking to cross a 4-lane
street (2 lanes in each direction). I was at a marked crosswalk with no
signal and the traffic was heavy. I put one foot--just one size 11
shoe--off the curb into the street, and immediately all traffic stopped,
from both directions. It was like watching a cartoon--they all just stopped
on a dime! I crossed, and they moved on like nothing had happened.

Here in Portland, I could be at a crosswalk at a controlled intersection,
crossing with the light, and I'm still taking my life into my own hands.

Skip Elliott Bowman January 11th 05 04:53 AM

John David Galt January 11th 05 06:43 AM

Tim923 wrote:
> It seems that cars in my new town don't look out for pedestrians as
> much as in my old town. Does this vary from state to state?

Describe your experience. There are pedestrians whose word I would
take on this sort of assertion, and then there are those who behave
as badly as the guy who merged onto the Interstate at 20 mph in front
of Scott. Guys like that probably behave so stupidly at crosswalks
that no one SHOULD stop for them.

John David Galt January 11th 05 06:43 AM

Tim923 January 11th 05 01:28 PM

>Describe your experience. There are pedestrians whose word I would
>take on this sort of assertion, and then there are those who behave
>as badly as the guy who merged onto the Interstate at 20 mph in front
>of Scott. Guys like that probably behave so stupidly at crosswalks
>that no one SHOULD stop for them.

I think in my old town, if the pedestrian gets to the crosswalk first
and gets two full strides into the road, the car at least slows down
and establishes eye contact, especially in a residential university
crosswalk area named University BLVD. Maybe I just had bad luck.

Even in my old town, I've been in a number of uncomfortable situations
where I had the "walk" signal, but that happened in less residential
areas. Drivers turn right on red without stop, and cars with green
left arrows don't anticipate, and will leave a pedestrian standing on
the double yellow lines.

Tim923 January 11th 05 01:28 PM

Old Wolf January 13th 05 04:37 AM

Tim923 wrote:

> I think in my old town, if the pedestrian gets to the crosswalk first
> and gets two full strides into the road, the car at least slows down
> and establishes eye contact, especially in a residential university
> crosswalk area named University BLVD. Maybe I just had bad luck.
>
> Even in my old town, I've been in a number of uncomfortable

situations
> where I had the "walk" signal, but that happened in less residential
> areas. Drivers turn right on red without stop, and cars with green
> left arrows don't anticipate, and will leave a pedestrian standing on
> the double yellow lines.

Wear steel-capped shoes, and kick cars that don't stop.