AutoBanter

-   Honda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Bummer - removed tire 1 wk after tire store put it on...snapped off the threads on one of the wheel studs (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=10903)

Gordon McGrew September 22nd 04 02:21 AM

Bummer - removed tire 1 wk after tire store put it on...snapped off the threads on one of the wheel studs

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 21:30:33 -0500, "KWW"
> wrote:

>Thanks for the feedback! I will have to try it. I guess if I put
>neverseize on it or something... but given that the driver's side naturally
>wants to unscrew as it rotates, I short of don't want to do too much to
>lubricate that side.

Anti-sieze compound is the way to go. I have been using Permatex
(same can) for 20+ years and I put it on anything I screw together on
my cars. Always works great - especially on lug nuts and spark plugs.

Sparky September 22nd 04 08:07 AM

Gordon McGrew wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 21:30:33 -0500, "KWW"
> > wrote:
>

>>Thanks for the feedback! I will have to try it. I guess if I put
>>neverseize on it or something... but given that the driver's side naturally
>>wants to unscrew as it rotates, I short of don't want to do too much to
>>lubricate that side.

> Anti-sieze compound is the way to go. I have been using Permatex
> (same can) for 20+ years and I put it on anything I screw together on
> my cars. Always works great - especially on lug nuts and spark plugs.

Heh, I've had the same small can of Never Seez (IIRC) for about 30. It's
like Brylcream - a little dab'll do ya.

http://www.anti-seizecompounds.com/

Grumpy au Contraire September 22nd 04 11:05 AM

Sparky wrote:

> Gordon McGrew wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 21:30:33 -0500, "KWW"
> > > wrote:
> >

> >>Thanks for the feedback! I will have to try it. I guess if I put
> >>neverseize on it or something... but given that the driver's side naturally
> >>wants to unscrew as it rotates, I short of don't want to do too much to
> >>lubricate that side.

> > Anti-sieze compound is the way to go. I have been using Permatex
> > (same can) for 20+ years and I put it on anything I screw together on
> > my cars. Always works great - especially on lug nuts and spark plugs.

> Heh, I've had the same small can of Never Seez (IIRC) for about 30. It's
> like Brylcream - a little dab'll do ya.
>
> http://www.anti-seizecompounds.com/

Just bear in mind that when you "lubricate" fasteners that have a "dry"
torque spec, it is easy to over torque. That being said, I also am a
fan of lubing wheel studs but in the forty plus years that I've been
fiddlin' with cars, I just use cup grease...

--
JT

Just tooling through cyberspace in my ancient G4

KWW September 29th 04 01:14 AM

Finally stopped by the tire place and they wouldn't take "NO" for an answer
in claiming that they are responsible and want to send it down the street to
get a new lug put in. With +140k miles on the car I thought it unreasonable
to blame them for the bolt snapping... it may have been weakened before
then... but they had overtightened it or cross threaded it, that is for
certain. Nice!

--
KWW