AutoBanter

-   Audi (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   A4 oil temperature question (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=37620)

Tom Porter July 8th 05 03:56 AM

A4 oil temperature question

Hi,

I have a 2000 A4 1.8T with 164,000 km's on it. Until recently my oil
temperature gauge would go up to either 80C or 100C depending on the season
and sit there. Now the gauge will start climbing when I accelerate to 120C.
When I am in stop and go traffic it will sometimes will go up to 160C and
then while I am still in stop and go traffic drop back down to 100C? The
radiator temperature never changes from the dead centre 90C. The oil
temperature climbs to 80C when I start driving for a bit and the excessive
temperature starts after about 10 minutes of driving. I have checked my oil
level and it is fine, any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Tom

Iain Miller July 8th 05 09:46 AM

"Tom Porter" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a 2000 A4 1.8T with 164,000 km's on it. Until recently my oil
> temperature gauge would go up to either 80C or 100C depending on the
> season and sit there. Now the gauge will start climbing when I accelerate
> to 120C. When I am in stop and go traffic it will sometimes will go up to
> 160C and then while I am still in stop and go traffic drop back down to
> 100C? The radiator temperature never changes from the dead centre 90C. The
> oil temperature climbs to 80C when I start driving for a bit and the
> excessive temperature starts after about 10 minutes of driving. I have
> checked my oil level and it is fine, any ideas would be greatly
> appreciated...

If your oil level is really OK then the oil temp sender would be the first
port of call. Also check to make sure the fins on the oil cooler are not
clogged up with crap - but the sender would be the most likely culprit.

I.