AutoBanter

-   Jeep (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   1990 Cherokee oil leak back of engine by oil pan (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=12138)

rem December 23rd 04 03:59 AM

1990 Cherokee oil leak back of engine by oil pan

oil leak with the 4.0L 1990 Cherokee continually drips oil

I have changed the pan ,valve cover ,distributor gaskets and the rear
main seal the oil filter is ok as is the head gasket PCV is ok too

It seems to be the oil pan or the rear main seal but the are in the
same place -so how can I tell which is still leaking?

Thanks

Rem

DougW December 23rd 04 12:14 PM

rem did pass the time by typing:
> oil leak with the 4.0L 1990 Cherokee continually drips oil
>
> I have changed the pan ,valve cover ,distributor gaskets and the rear
> main seal the oil filter is ok as is the head gasket PCV is ok too
>
> It seems to be the oil pan or the rear main seal but the are in the
> same place -so how can I tell which is still leaking?

99% of leaks from that location are actually from the back of the valve
cover. Wipe the top of the block clean then go back after a day and check.

--
DougW

Kevin in San Diego December 24th 04 02:19 AM

On a 4.0 of that vintage also check the oil filter thingy where it attaches
to the block. There are a few orings that go bad.
KH