AutoBanter

-   BMW (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Oil Filter (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=71885)

BMWKGR August 9th 06 04:35 PM

Oil Filter

Have a 2000 BMW 323 CI. Just found out my old mechanic closed up shop, and
everyone else wants $100 plus to change the oil and filter. Can any one
tell me approximately where the oil filter is located on this car. Hubby
says he will see if he can change the oil and filter.

bfd August 9th 06 05:40 PM

Oil Filter

BMWKGR wrote:
> Have a 2000 BMW 323 CI. Just found out my old mechanic closed up shop, and
> everyone else wants $100 plus to change the oil and filter. Can any one
> tell me approximately where the oil filter is located on this car. Hubby
> says he will see if he can change the oil and filter.

Get yourself a Bentley manual, its the best for your car:

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/product.htm?code=b305

BMWKGR August 9th 06 05:44 PM

Oil Filter

We don't want a manual. We just want somebody to give us a clue as to
where the oil filter is located. Cannot see it.

Floyd Rogers[_1_] August 9th 06 05:50 PM

Oil Filter

"BMWKGR" > wrote
> Have a 2000 BMW 323 CI. Just found out my old mechanic closed up shop,
> and
> everyone else wants $100 plus to change the oil and filter. Can any one
> tell me approximately where the oil filter is located on this car. Hubby
> says he will see if he can change the oil and filter.

You need 7 quarts of oil (Castrol or Mobil synthetic).
The filter canister is on the front/top of the engine, just behind the fan.
You need a 36 mm socket to remove the canister top.
There is an o-ring for the canister, and washer for the drain plug - they
should be in the oil filter box. Mahle is OEM, Bosch and Purolator
also good.
You need to remove the bottom engine cover - phillips screws at the corners.

FloydR

bfd August 9th 06 05:54 PM

Oil Filter

BMWKGR wrote:
> We don't want a manual. We just want somebody to give us a clue as to
> where the oil filter is located. Cannot see it.

OK, look here, its in the cannister on the left, next to the power
steering reservior:

http://www.eurosporthighperformance....ght_carbon.jpg

Good Luck!

PS - I think you'll need a 36mm socket.

Dodgy August 9th 06 06:42 PM

Oil Filter

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 09:50:45 -0700, "Floyd Rogers"
> waffled on about something:

>"BMWKGR" > wrote
>> Have a 2000 BMW 323 CI. Just found out my old mechanic closed up shop,
>> and
>> everyone else wants $100 plus to change the oil and filter. Can any one
>> tell me approximately where the oil filter is located on this car. Hubby
>> says he will see if he can change the oil and filter.

>You need 7 quarts of oil (Castrol or Mobil synthetic).
>The filter canister is on the front/top of the engine, just behind the fan.
>You need a 36 mm socket to remove the canister top.
>There is an o-ring for the canister, and washer for the drain plug - they
>should be in the oil filter box. Mahle is OEM, Bosch and Purolator
>also good.
>You need to remove the bottom engine cover - phillips screws at the corners.
>
>FloydR

Just poking my nose in, and was curious... Do you need to remove the
entire under engine tray on the newer models? My old '96 E36 has a
little panel held in with a single 10mm (I think) self tapper, to
allow access to the drain plug.

Bit of a backward step if such little nice touches were missing on
newer cars.

Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

Floyd Rogers[_1_] August 9th 06 07:14 PM

Oil Filter

"Dodgy" > wrote
> On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 09:50:45 -0700, "Floyd Rogers"
>>"BMWKGR" > wrote

>>You need to remove the bottom engine cover - phillips screws at the
>>corners.
>>

> Just poking my nose in, and was curious... Do you need to remove the
> entire under engine tray on the newer models? My old '96 E36 has a
> little panel held in with a single 10mm (I think) self tapper, to
> allow access to the drain plug.
>
> Bit of a backward step if such little nice touches were missing on
> newer cars.

You have to remove the entire *front* cover - you can leave the
back cover (transmission) on. It's about 4'x3'.

It's actually a step *forward*, as it smoothes the airflow to give
you better aerodynamics and, therefore, economy.
Of course, it gets pieces of gravel on top of it and rattles unmercilessly
if you drive - like I do - on gravel.

FloydR

BMWKGR August 9th 06 07:26 PM

Oil Filter

Thank you so very much. I will be back if he cannot resolve something.

Tom K. August 9th 06 08:42 PM

Oil Filter

"BMWKGR" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Thank you so very much. I will be back if he cannot resolve something.

If he can't, a dealer should do it for about $75.00~80.00. Be sure to
specify an oil/filter change, not an oil service (which costs about
$200.00).

Tom K.

Fred W[_1_] August 9th 06 08:43 PM

Oil Filter

BMWKGR wrote:
> Have a 2000 BMW 323 CI. Just found out my old mechanic closed up shop, and
> everyone else wants $100 plus to change the oil and filter. Can any one
> tell me approximately where the oil filter is located on this car. Hubby
> says he will see if he can change the oil and filter.

Filter Kit ~$10
8 quarts full synthetic oil ~$40

The question you need to ask yourself is: How long is your husband
willing to work and how dirty will he get, for $50.

Personally, I do it because I like to. It's recreational wrenching.
But then, I do a lot of other repair type things to my cars too.

Y(Husband's)MMV
--
-Fred W