AutoBanter

-   Chrysler (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The Last Really Good Chrysler Product (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=8526)

Daniel J. Stern October 20th 04 10:44 PM

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Steve wrote:

> > Disagree. The last really good A-body was in '72.

> IMO, the A-body and B-body [was] perfectly acceptable right through
> their end of production in '76

Sure, but the question wasn't "perfectly acceptable", it was "really
good".

James C. Reeves October 20th 04 10:45 PM

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
| On Wed, 19 Oct 2004, Ted Azito wrote:
|
| > But getting back on subject, he was going off on what the last good
| > Chrysler product was. I'll post his answer-surprising to me-a little
| > later, but I want your opinions first. What was the last good Mopar?
|
| The AA-body (Spirit, Acclaim, LeBaron sedan, export Saratoga) 1989-1995.

If so, one would think that there would still be these models on the road now.
I don't see them very often. The old A bodies you saw frequently on the road
well into the 80's.

James C. Reeves October 20th 04 10:45 PM

James C. Reeves October 20th 04 11:20 PM

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
| On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, James C. Reeves wrote:
|
| > The company I worked for in the 1970's had a fleet of a couple dozen
| > 1974 "slant-six" Plymouth Duster's...nearly all of then ran well over
| > 200K miles..a few into 300k with surprisingly few problems.
|
| Right, James, but you and I have been through this before, and as I
| recall, you have no experience with the pre-'72 A-bodies for
| context/comparison.

True...hard to believe that they could be much better. But, I'll take your
word for it.

James C. Reeves October 20th 04 11:20 PM

Daniel J. Stern October 20th 04 11:28 PM

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, James C. Reeves wrote:

> | The AA-body (Spirit, Acclaim, LeBaron sedan, export Saratoga) 1989-1995.
>
> If so, one would think that there would still be these models on the
> road now. I don't see them very often.

I see lots of them, and I'm right in the salt belt (Toronto). Perhaps they
didn't sell well wherever you are.

Daniel J. Stern October 20th 04 11:28 PM

RPhillips47 October 21st 04 12:17 AM

"James C. Reeves" wrote:

>The 300C is the wrong car for the wrong time. Gas will be at $4.00 to $5.00
>gallon in a few short years with China (and other "emerging markets") sucking
>
>up oil at a 30%+ per year growth rate with supply channels already at full
>production. So, most of them will be left parked in the driveway along with
>the SUVs. Too expensive to drive and no one will want them (so no one will
>buy
>them off of you). They may be good...(yet to be seen), but part of being
>good
>is that it fits the times. I wouldn't touch one with a 10-foot pole...it has
>
>"loosing your shirt" written all over it!

I guess that is why you are you and the rest of us are glad we aren't.

RPhillips47 October 21st 04 12:17 AM

James C. Reeves October 21st 04 12:19 AM

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
| On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, James C. Reeves wrote:
|
| > | The AA-body (Spirit, Acclaim, LeBaron sedan, export Saratoga) 1989-1995.
| >
| > If so, one would think that there would still be these models on the
| > road now. I don't see them very often.
|
| I see lots of them, and I'm right in the salt belt (Toronto). Perhaps they
| didn't sell well wherever you are.

Could be. Plus, for whatever reason, this marked has become very bad for older
used vehicles. It's possible that those that get put back into the resale
market get shipped elsewhere where they will sell better.