AutoBanter

-   Honda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Civic Brake Question (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=63090)

[email protected] April 22nd 06 02:43 AM

Civic Brake Question

I want to check my rear brakes, but can't get the damn brake drums off
to inspect the shoes. Is there some trick I don't know about how to
remove the brake drums ? I've whacked them with a hammer and sprayed
rust-buster on the lugs, in case they are rusted on. Still, they won't
budge. And YES, the emergency brake is OFF.

TeGGeR® April 22nd 06 03:23 AM

Civic Brake Question

wrote in
oups.com:

> I want to check my rear brakes, but can't get the damn brake drums off
> to inspect the shoes. Is there some trick I don't know about how to
> remove the brake drums ? I've whacked them with a hammer and sprayed
> rust-buster on the lugs, in case they are rusted on. Still, they won't
> budge. And YES, the emergency brake is OFF.

They won't move at all, right?

Get a 1/2 lb ball-peen hammer. Tap the spaces between the lugs, rotating
and tapping as you go. You can tap hard if you like, so it's more like a
whack. Eventually you'll break up the rust that's gluing things together
and the drum will come off. If it now wiggles but still won't come off,
that's a different problem...

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

chip April 22nd 06 03:24 AM

Civic Brake Question

On 21 Apr 2006 18:43:44 -0700, wrote:

>I want to check my rear brakes, but can't get the damn brake drums off
>to inspect the shoes. Is there some trick I don't know about how to
>remove the brake drums ? I've whacked them with a hammer and sprayed
>rust-buster on the lugs, in case they are rusted on. Still, they won't
>budge. And YES, the emergency brake is OFF.

use the threaded holes in the drums. just start screwing bolts in
until it pops. that's what those holes are for!
Chip

TeGGeR® April 22nd 06 04:11 AM

Civic Brake Question

chip > wrote in
:

> On 21 Apr 2006 18:43:44 -0700, wrote:
>
>>I want to check my rear brakes, but can't get the damn brake drums off
>>to inspect the shoes. Is there some trick I don't know about how to
>>remove the brake drums ? I've whacked them with a hammer and sprayed
>>rust-buster on the lugs, in case they are rusted on. Still, they won't
>>budge. And YES, the emergency brake is OFF.

> use the threaded holes in the drums. just start screwing bolts in
> until it pops. that's what those holes are for!
> Chip

In my neck of the woods those screw holes are *worse* than useless. We have
too much rust.

To the OP: If you use those holes and all the metal does is bulge, STOP!
Then tap the surrounding areas with the hammer as I said earlier. Lots of
good whacks with the hammer will achieve your objective.

Sid April 22nd 06 04:33 AM

Civic Brake Question

I had this problem on an Isuzu pickup and I eventually took it to a mechanic
because I could not get them off no matter how much I hit it with a hammer.
He used an air hammer until they broke loose. Even then, he had to go to
town with that air hammer for a good 5 minutes before they would release.

Sid

oups.com...

SoCalMike April 22nd 06 06:38 PM

Civic Brake Question

wrote:
> I want to check my rear brakes, but can't get the damn brake drums off
> to inspect the shoes. Is there some trick I don't know about how to
> remove the brake drums ? I've whacked them with a hammer and sprayed
> rust-buster on the lugs, in case they are rusted on. Still, they won't
> budge. And YES, the emergency brake is OFF.

my rear drums (98 civic cx) have 2 threaded holes, perfect size for2
LONG metric threaded bolts.

find 2, thread em in, itll push the drum right off.

[email protected] April 23rd 06 12:33 PM

Civic Brake Question

wrote:
> I want to check my rear brakes, but can't get the damn brake drums off
> to inspect the shoes. Is there some trick I don't know about how to
> remove the brake drums ? I've whacked them with a hammer and sprayed
> rust-buster on the lugs, in case they are rusted on. Still, they won't
> budge. And YES, the emergency brake is OFF.

Thanks to all. I guess I was going at it the right way, but without
enough ferocity.
I'll give them another whack....

And I didn't even consider the two bolt-holes.......never even gave
them a thought.

Again, many thanks...

Elle April 23rd 06 02:37 PM

Civic Brake Question

> wrote
> And I didn't even consider the two bolt-holes.......never
> even gave
> them a thought.

Oh for sure get the correct fitting bolts and put them in
those holes. I drove my 91 Civic for many years in the
Northern U.S. Using the bolt holes a few years ago, I
didn't have any meaningful problem getting the drums off.

BTW, always helps others (now or for the archives) to post
your year of Honda and miles on it, in addition to the
model. :-)