AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   89 Honda (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=24993)

Vodka Bob February 21st 05 11:16 PM

89 Honda

Hi again everyone.

I have an 89 Honda Accord LX and it runs great with one exception. In rainy
weather when I drive through a puddle the engine quits. These are not big
puddles, but just about enough water to splash the underneath of the car.
The car won't restart for about 10 minutes, and then it idles fine but it
sputters on acceleration. After a couple of minutes it's fine again.

This has happened several times. Is there anything I can do to stop this??

Thanks in advance

Bob

chuck smoko February 22nd 05 12:44 AM

Spark plug wires.

John Ings February 22nd 05 02:30 AM

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 23:16:44 GMT, "Vodka Bob" >
wrote:

>Hi again everyone.
>
>I have an 89 Honda Accord LX and it runs great with one exception. In rainy
>weather when I drive through a puddle the engine quits. These are not big
>puddles, but just about enough water to splash the underneath of the car.
>The car won't restart for about 10 minutes, and then it idles fine but it
>sputters on acceleration. After a couple of minutes it's fine again.
>
>This has happened several times. Is there anything I can do to stop this??

Replace your spark plug wires. If you want to be cheap about it, buy a
small spray can of Ignition spray and coat your existing wires and
distributor cap with its transparent, flexible coating.

Vodka Bob February 22nd 05 11:55 PM

"John Ings" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 23:16:44 GMT, "Vodka Bob" >
> wrote:
>
>>Hi again everyone.
>>
>>I have an 89 Honda Accord LX and it runs great with one exception. In
>>rainy
>>weather when I drive through a puddle the engine quits. These are not big
>>puddles, but just about enough water to splash the underneath of the car.
>>The car won't restart for about 10 minutes, and then it idles fine but it
>>sputters on acceleration. After a couple of minutes it's fine again.
>>
>>This has happened several times. Is there anything I can do to stop this??

> Replace your spark plug wires. If you want to be cheap about it, buy a
> small spray can of Ignition spray and coat your existing wires and
> distributor cap with its transparent, flexible coating.

Well, I installed a new set of (good) spark plug cables + went out searching
for some puddles :-)

I found some beauties + went splashing on in -- and the engine kept humming
right on through.
This group is 3 for 3 in helping with my car, so thanks + keep up the great
advice!!!!

VB