AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   98 Pontiac Grand Prix (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=38335)

Tripn July 16th 05 01:17 AM

98 Pontiac Grand Prix

I just got a new engine put in and the engine light keeps coming on. The
last time it kept coming on it the shop kept resetting the lite but within
5 weeks the engine blew a hole or rod out it. I just want to avoid the
same thing happening to this engine. The cooling system has already been
replaced such as: radiator, water pump, hoses, oxygen sensors (both of
them. Any suggestions?

Shep July 16th 05 01:28 AM

What lite comes on, pray tell?, if it is the check engine have it scanned
and post back the results, how could we possibly know what " a lite" coming
on is?
lkaboutautos.com...

[email protected] July 16th 05 02:52 AM

from reading this newsgroup it seems that you may need to hook your car
up to a diagnostic scanner to get the error codes.

The mechanic that did your new engine should be able to do it. The
codes will tell what the symptoms are.

Jon C July 16th 05 03:14 PM

Al Bundy July 16th 05 10:07 PM

If you are driving around with the red overheat light on you probably
will be needing a new engine. A new radiator and pump won't help much
with no coolant onboard.

Tripn July 16th 05 11:14 PM

"check engine lite"

Tripn July 16th 05 11:15 PM

I just left there and the code is and has always been DTC P0420. THANKS,
LORI

Tripn July 16th 05 11:17 PM

I am not driving with the lite on.... thats just it.. I picked it up from
the shop after just getting a new engine and 2 minutes later the "check
engine lite" came back on.
Thanks, Lori

Shep July 16th 05 11:53 PM

OK, what is the code?
lkaboutautos.com...

Shep July 16th 05 11:55 PM

P0420 is catylyst effiicency, which can be caused by too lean a mixture, bad
cat, bad sensors, this code requires extensive diagnosis to pinpoint.
lkaboutautos.com...