AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   have a rear axle and differential? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=37441)

js5895 July 5th 05 10:21 PM

have a rear axle and differential?

Hi,

Does the 1997 Ford Taurus have a rear axle and differential?

Thanks, for your help.

Kathy and Erich Coiner July 6th 05 01:40 AM

Yes to both questions.
But the differential is not in the rear axle.

Erich

oups.com...

[email protected] July 6th 05 02:22 AM

Kathy and Erich Coiner wrote:
> Yes to both questions.
> But the differential is not in the rear axle.
>
> Erich
>
> "js5895" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does the 1997 Ford Taurus have a rear axle and differential?
> >
> > Thanks, for your help.

I've got a 93 taurus.. now the 97 is the newer body style, but I don't
believe they stopped using the indie rear suspension.. without a solid
beam connecting the two rear tires I don't know that I would consider
it having a rear 'axle'.

Jim

Don Stauffer July 6th 05 03:11 PM

wrote:

> I've got a 93 taurus.. now the 97 is the newer body style, but I don't
> believe they stopped using the indie rear suspension.. without a solid
> beam connecting the two rear tires I don't know that I would consider
> it having a rear 'axle'.
>
> Jim

How about considering it has two, one for each side? Or should we call
the part that holds the wheel bearings "spindles"?

js5895 July 6th 05 04:50 PM

Two rear axles, one on each side of the differential, right?

Mike Romain July 6th 05 05:16 PM

Not on a front wheel drive car.....

You only have spindles to hold bearings like mentioned, no axles in the
rear.

You do have 2 'front' axles though, one on each side of the front
differential.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

[email protected] July 7th 05 10:59 AM

Don Stauffer wrote:
> wrote:
> >

> > I've got a 93 taurus.. now the 97 is the newer body style, but I don't
> > believe they stopped using the indie rear suspension.. without a solid
> > beam connecting the two rear tires I don't know that I would consider
> > it having a rear 'axle'.
> >
> > Jim
> >

> How about considering it has two, one for each side? Or should we call
> the part that holds the wheel bearings "spindles"?

Here's the description from a Ford recall notice..

"LEFT AND/OR RIGHT REAR SPINDLE ASSEMBLIES MAY HAVE BEEN IMPROPERLY
HEAT TREATED. CONSEQUENCE OF DEFECT: IF SPINDLE STEM SEPARATES, LOSS OF
VEHICLE CONTROL COULD OCCUR WITHOUT PRIOR WARNING."

They call 'em spindles.. who am I to argue?..

Jim

[email protected] July 7th 05 11:04 AM

Mike Romain wrote:
> Not on a front wheel drive car.....
>
> You only have spindles to hold bearings like mentioned, no axles in the
> rear.

Some FWD cars did have a solid beam across the rear to which both
spindles attached.. VW rabbit, K-cars, Omni, Chrysler Minivans I
think.. I would consider that an axle, even though it doesn't have a
diff.

Jim

[email protected] July 7th 05 11:05 AM