AutoBanter

-   Dodge (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   1996 Dodge Intrepid ABS problem (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=4160)

joe June 16th 04 05:53 PM

1996 Dodge Intrepid ABS problem

Just recently, my 1996 Intrepid with 106K miles has developed a problem
with the anti-lock braking system. When the cars decelerates to about 10-15
mph, the ABS kicks in. It makes an annoying sound and, after about 10
minutes and
several stops, the ABS and Trac Off lights go on and the car seems to drive
OK.
I checked the brake fluid as well as the #6 10amp fuse and both are OK.
I have heard that this problem may be a bad ABS control module. Also, the
problem seemed to occur after I had the car's emissions checked for the
annual state inspection here in Missouri. There is a process where the car's
front wheels are put on rollers while they run the engine. Could one of the
sensors have been damaged by this? Is there anything else that it
could be, and is there a solution to this problem that won't cost a fortune?
I don't want to spend a lot of money on this car but would like to fix the
problem before it affects the overall braking system.

Thanks,

Joe