AutoBanter

-   Alfa Romeo (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Replacent Dash Lights (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=213)

Catman June 28th 04 09:43 PM

Zathras wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 18:51:41 GMT, Catman
> > wrote:
>
>>Zathras wrote:

> <Snip>
>>> In any case, my front fogs
>>> are totally useless - I once tried to light up a wall 10ft away in
>>> darkness with them - made no real difference. Maybe the Italians have
>>> an extra-special, cunning fog over there...
>>>

>>You should have tried to light up the ground......

> ..yes..the bit you can't see because it's below the bonnet/front
> screen line was probably dimly lit! I've never found any car's fogs
> better than dipped beam in fog since I first came across them in the
> mid-80s.

Well, the ones I installed in the Giulietta work OK :)
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk

Pete June 28th 04 10:28 PM

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:58:12 +0100, Zathras
>, wrote:

> I've never found any car's fogs
>better than dipped beam in fog since I first came across them in the
>mid-80s.

Yep! The best fog-lights are the one's on the back of the car in front :-)

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso (his)
147 2.0 TS (2002) - Gem Green (her's)

Catman June 29th 04 07:07 AM

Juhan Leemet wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:35:57 +0100, Zathras wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 19:33:24 GMT, Catman
>> > wrote:
>>
>> <Snip>
>>> fog lights switch off when the ignition is turned off, and will not
>>>re-light unless deliberately turned on.

> Battery saving feature, I would guess?

No. It stops iddiots from driving around with their got lights on (dazzling
the rest of us) for months cos they forget to turn them off.

>> ...my front fogs are totally useless - I once tried to light up a wall
>> 10ft away in darkness with them - made no real difference. Maybe the
>> Italians have an extra-special, cunning fog over there...

> I think fog lights come into their own in thick fog, when regular
> headlights make it seem like you're inside a milk bottle. They should let
> you see something (more than nothing... like moonlight?). Unfortunately,
> you do have to slow your speed, unless you're a bat, or have ESP.

I agree. They get used maybe once a year, but then they are useful

Zathras June 29th 04 09:07 AM

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:43:25 GMT, Catman
> wrote:

>Zathras wrote:

<snip>
>> ..yes..the bit you can't see because it's below the bonnet/front
>> screen line was probably dimly lit! I've never found any car's fogs
>> better than dipped beam in fog since I first came across them in the
>> mid-80s.
>>

>Well, the ones I installed in the Giulietta work OK :)

...bet they're not the standard Giulietta fogs (if it had any)!

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)

Zathras June 29th 04 09:10 AM

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 06:07:41 GMT, Catman
> wrote:

>Juhan Leemet wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:35:57 +0100, Zathras wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 19:33:24 GMT, Catman
>>>
>>> <Snip>

>> Battery saving feature, I would guess?
>>

>No. It stops iddiots from driving around with their got lights on (dazzling
>the rest of us) for months cos they forget to turn them off.

...nah! It's Italian electrical paranoia! Same as the ignition switch
without a key in kills almost everything so there's a special position
just so you can operate the side lights without the key in!!! ;-)

<Snip>

Tom Boltwood June 29th 04 10:22 AM

> From: Zathras >
> Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
> Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 09:10:50 +0100
> Subject: Replacent Dash Lights
>
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 06:07:41 GMT, Catman
> > wrote:
>
>> Juhan Leemet wrote:

>>> Battery saving feature, I would guess?
>>>

>> No. It stops iddiots from driving around with their got lights on (dazzling
>> the rest of us) for months cos they forget to turn them off.

> ..nah! It's Italian electrical paranoia! Same as the ignition switch
> without a key in kills almost everything so there's a special position
> just so you can operate the side lights without the key in!!! ;-)
>
> <Snip>

Always loved that feature of Italian cars. I interrupted my Italian car
stream with a BMW once and it was about a year of flat batteries before I
got used to turning the lights off!

Catman June 29th 04 12:44 PM

Zathras wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 06:07:41 GMT, Catman
> > wrote:
>
>>Juhan Leemet wrote:

>>> Battery saving feature, I would guess?
>>>

>>No. It stops iddiots from driving around with their got lights on
>>(dazzling the rest of us) for months cos they forget to turn them off.

> ..nah! It's Italian electrical paranoia! Same as the ignition switch
> without a key in kills almost everything so there's a special position
> just so you can operate the side lights without the key in!!! ;-)

Nah, that's parking lights. My bike has the same.

Catman June 29th 04 12:45 PM

Zathras wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:43:25 GMT, Catman
> > wrote:
>
>>Zathras wrote:

> <snip>
>>> ..yes..the bit you can't see because it's below the bonnet/front
>>> screen line was probably dimly lit! I've never found any car's fogs
>>> better than dipped beam in fog since I first came across them in the
>>> mid-80s.
>>>

>>Well, the ones I installed in the Giulietta work OK :)

> ..bet they're not the standard Giulietta fogs (if it had any)!

Very true :)

Zathras June 29th 04 03:53 PM

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:44:51 GMT, Catman
> wrote:

<snip>
>Nah, that's parking lights. My bike has the same.

Nah!..it's just the side lights..honest! Not even a choice over having
one side or the other on - I'd never use them overnight unless the
battery was pretty new and I was doing some distance driving too!!

Zathras June 29th 04 03:56 PM

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:45:09 GMT, Catman
> wrote:

>Zathras wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:43:25 GMT, Catman
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Zathras wrote:

>> <snip>
>>>>
>>>Well, the ones I installed in the Giulietta work OK :)

>> ..bet they're not the standard Giulietta fogs (if it had any)!
>>

>Very true :)

Ah Ha! I knew it... <smug grin> :) Mind you, it's gratifying when you
beat the manufacturer.