AutoBanter

-   Jeep (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   cj5 shackle question (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=33031)

marvin martian May 18th 05 08:09 AM

cj5 shackle question

ok here goes some friends of mine have a 75 cj5frame with a 46 cj2a body
on it. 36 inch tires. 4 inch lift procomp springs. how long should
shackles be bolt to bolt before it is unsafe? right now i believe
theyre somewhere in the 9 to 9 1/2 inch range to alot for body and tire
clearance/fit.

SoK66 May 18th 05 01:25 PM

"marvin martian" > wrote in message
> ok here goes some friends of mine have a 75 cj5frame with a 46 cj2a body
> on it. 36 inch tires. 4 inch lift procomp springs. how long should
> shackles be bolt to bolt before it is unsafe? right now i believe
> theyre somewhere in the 9 to 9 1/2 inch range to alot for body and tire
> clearance/fit.>

Roughly 4" is the length of a stock CJ shackle. I'd never recommend running
a shackle more than 1" longer than that. 9"+ sounds like a nightmare waiting
to happen.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III May 18th 05 01:29 PM

Nine inches you got to be kidding, you could go into the spring
de-arcing business. Have a picture so I may replace theses ruined
springs example: http://www.billhughes.com/93-YJ-2.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Mike Romain May 18th 05 01:36 PM

3" is the proper length for a CJ's steering alignment.

You should check with procomp to see what shackles their springs are
designed for. Too short will cause springs to bind and be hard, too
long will allow the springs to over flex and go flat or invert.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Jeff Strickland May 18th 05 04:58 PM

You can't be serious. You have passed the max safe shackle length a long
time ago.

bingobongo May 18th 05 11:39 PM

I have shackles that look about the same....I have LOTS of arch in my
springs

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III May 19th 05 12:57 AM

Lets see the picture troll.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

bingobongo May 19th 05 04:20 PM

I will shortly, those springs in the pic you have are DEAD. If someone puts
a shackle lift on DEAD springs it will probably so not nice things.

bingobongo May 19th 05 05:41 PM

Pictu
http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/reader-.../jays_jeep.jpg

As you can see they are not flat. They look ALMOST the same as before, maybe
..25 inch difference. I've experienced no driving issues, it's fine. And
those springs weren't even brand new.

Mike Romain May 19th 05 06:18 PM

How much did you have to shim it and what brand of spring did you use?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's