AutoBanter

-   Honda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   '99 Accord Engine mount (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=72010)

Nigel Spon August 10th 06 10:22 PM

'99 Accord Engine mount

I have just had my '99 Accord wagon serviced, and the dealer tells me
the front engine mount has a split in it and really should be replaced.
Its not expensive but it sounds rather fundamental - I'm wondering, is
this common and how serious is it? Its the F23A engine.

TeGGeR® August 11th 06 02:46 AM

'99 Accord Engine mount

Nigel Spon > wrote in news:not-
:

> I have just had my '99 Accord wagon serviced, and the dealer tells me
> the front engine mount has a split in it and really should be replaced.
> Its not expensive but it sounds rather fundamental - I'm wondering, is
> this common and how serious is it? Its the F23A engine.

The front engine mount on at least some Hondas doesn't do much from what I
can see. The part that the bolt goes through is more like the sort of skin
tag some people get on their bodies; it just flops around. I think the
mount is more a range-of-motion limiter than a vibration steadier.

The other mounts are much more solidly built. From what I can see, it's the
two upper ones that carry the bulk of the duties. (And in your car, the
rear is probably one of those complicated hydraulic deals).

I replaced my front mount earlier this summer. See here for pics of old and
new.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/front_engine_mount/

Maybe your front mount is beefier than mine, but I doubt it.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

jim beam[_1_] August 11th 06 04:41 AM

'99 Accord Engine mount

Nigel Spon wrote:
> I have just had my '99 Accord wagon serviced, and the dealer tells me
> the front engine mount has a split in it and really should be replaced.
> Its not expensive but it sounds rather fundamental - I'm wondering, is
> this common and how serious is it? Its the F23A engine.

not serious for supporting engine weight, but essential for smooth
torque transmission. particularly on automatics. you can do it
yourself quite easily. my advice is to also investigate the rear mount
as well - they usually go at the same time.

TeGGeR® August 11th 06 01:17 PM

'99 Accord Engine mount

jim beam > wrote in news:lvidnQEcLtrmYUbZnZ2dnUVZ_r-
:

> Nigel Spon wrote:
>> I have just had my '99 Accord wagon serviced, and the dealer tells me
>> the front engine mount has a split in it and really should be replaced.
>> Its not expensive but it sounds rather fundamental - I'm wondering, is
>> this common and how serious is it? Its the F23A engine.

> not serious for supporting engine weight, but essential for smooth
> torque transmission. particularly on automatics. you can do it
> yourself quite easily. my advice is to also investigate the rear mount
> as well - they usually go at the same time.

It's just a range of motion limiter, jim.

When you accelerate or decelerate, the "skin tag" I mentioned contacts the
upper or lower surface of the rubber perimeter, which keeps the engine from
torquing too far. You can clearly see the abraded spots on the rubber where
the pieces have touched, even on the new one, which I temporarily removed
again in order to check.

Vibration damping is performed by the other three mounts.

jim beam[_1_] August 11th 06 02:55 PM

'99 Accord Engine mount

TeGGeR® wrote:
> jim beam > wrote in news:lvidnQEcLtrmYUbZnZ2dnUVZ_r-
> :
>
>> Nigel Spon wrote:
>>> I have just had my '99 Accord wagon serviced, and the dealer tells me
>>> the front engine mount has a split in it and really should be replaced.
>>> Its not expensive but it sounds rather fundamental - I'm wondering, is
>>> this common and how serious is it? Its the F23A engine.

>> not serious for supporting engine weight, but essential for smooth
>> torque transmission. particularly on automatics. you can do it
>> yourself quite easily. my advice is to also investigate the rear mount
>> as well - they usually go at the same time.

> It's just a range of motion limiter, jim.

it helps define range of motion, yes - all mountings do that. it also
contributes to the driveability qualities. it's no different to
changing out suspension bushings - old ones "work", but new ones "work
well". try it yourself some time.