AutoBanter

-   BMW (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   fault codes (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=59041)

wawa_bmw via CarKB.com March 10th 06 03:17 AM

fault codes

adding to my earlier thread, I just hooked up one of those bavarian fault
code readers. for my check engine light, 3 faults came up. they a

-EVAP capillary leak (.5mm) detected
-misfire detected cyl #2
-misfire detected cyl #4

any tips on resolving these issues?

mark barron April 9th 08 03:20 PM

fault codes

wawa_bmw via CarKB.com wrote:
> adding to my earlier thread, I just hooked up one of those bavarian fault
> code readers. for my check engine light, 3 faults came up. they a
>
> -EVAP capillary leak (.5mm) detected
> -misfire detected cyl #2
> -misfire detected cyl #4
>
> any tips on resolving these issues?

I too have had several 'misfire detected cyl #2'. Please let me know
what you find out about this error. There is a Coil that sets directly over
each spark plugs in my e39 530i. The coil is connected to the plug.

with a rigid connector about 4 or 5 inches long.
Mark

Jeff Strickland April 9th 08 06:52 PM

fault codes

That misfire is the result of a failing coil or a damaged spark plug.

The coil has to be removed to get the plug out, so removal of the plug
should put your hands directly on the failed/failing part.

You can swap the coil to a different plug, and if the Code jumps to the new
location, then the coil is needing to be replaced.