AutoBanter

-   BMW (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   318IS noise (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=59157)

pixel March 11th 06 10:15 AM

318IS noise

i've recently bought a used 318IS, 1996, 152,000Ks. overall its really
nice to drive - the engine could be quieter but it wasn't a major
concern. its not actually the noise so much as its a 'ragged' type
noise... if that makes sense lol. what's the best course of action to
take for noisy engine syndrome - is it likely to be anything specific
that's worn..? any info much apprec.

John Burns March 12th 06 11:46 AM

318IS noise

> i've recently bought a used 318IS, 1996, 152,000Ks. overall its really
> nice to drive - the engine could be quieter but it wasn't a major
> concern. its not actually the noise so much as its a 'ragged' type
> noise... if that makes sense lol. what's the best course of action to
> take for noisy engine syndrome - is it likely to be anything specific
> that's worn..?

Is it only noisy when cold? Is it a high or low pitched noise? Does it
go away if you depress the clutch?

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
www.Strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price

pixel March 13th 06 09:36 AM

318IS noise

John Burns wrote:
> Is it only noisy when cold? Is it a high or low pitched noise? Does it
> go away if you depress the clutch?

No same at all temeratures, its just kind of a high pitched rasp, only
really noticeable at idle and low revs. i'm driving an auto.

John Burns March 13th 06 10:15 AM

318IS noise

> > Is it only noisy when cold? Is it a high or low pitched noise? Does it
> > go away if you depress the clutch?

> No same at all temeratures, its just kind of a high pitched rasp, only
> really noticeable at idle and low revs. i'm driving an auto.

If it's a tinny rattle check the metal conduit that holds the HT leads.
Mine snapped at the rear mounting and was vibrating against the cylinder
head.

C.Read March 13th 06 11:50 AM

318IS noise

"John Burns" > wrote in message
>> > Is it only noisy when cold? Is it a high or low pitched noise? Does it
>> > go away if you depress the clutch?

>> No same at all temeratures, its just kind of a high pitched rasp, only
>> really noticeable at idle and low revs. i'm driving an auto.

> If it's a tinny rattle check the metal conduit that holds the HT leads.
> Mine snapped at the rear mounting and was vibrating against the cylinder
> head.
>
> --
> Who needs a life when you've got Unix? :-)
> Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
> Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
> Need Sun or HP Unix kit? http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/unix.html
> www.Strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price

I am not sure this is the noise you're talking about.. but my 328is used to
make a hell of a racket at one point.. Turned out it needed an exhaust
clamp.. £10 from my local dealer.. and took my 5 minutes to put on... now
runs very quiet.. Also could rattling be the signs of wearing engine mounts?