AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Freeze 12 (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=38742)

[email protected] July 21st 05 04:42 AM

Freeze 12

I have a 1989 Corolla which runs fine but I believe the A/C may be a bit
low on refrigerant. It blows cold but not quite as cold as I believe it
should be. I have been told that Freeze 12 is a replacement for the R-12
which cannot be gotten. Can I just add a little Freeze 12 to my R-12
system? Has anyone had any experince using Freeze 12? Thanks for any
advice or help. The car is in great shape and has 87K miles.

Doug and Patty

Steve B. July 21st 05 02:11 PM

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:42:39 -0400, wrote:

>I have a 1989 Corolla which runs fine but I believe the A/C may be a bit
>low on refrigerant. It blows cold but not quite as cold as I believe it
>should be. I have been told that Freeze 12 is a replacement for the R-12
>which cannot be gotten. Can I just add a little Freeze 12 to my R-12
>system? Has anyone had any experince using Freeze 12? Thanks for any
>advice or help. The car is in great shape and has 87K miles.
>
>Doug and Patty

R12 is still plentiful though you do need a license to get it. You
should not mix Freeze 12 and R12. Since the car is otherwise in great
shape just call around until you find someone who will top off the
system for you.

You shouldn't mix refrigerants in the system. You can have the r12
evacuated and the system changed over to 134a if you wish but it would
make more sense just to top off what you have.

Steve B.

Masospaghetti July 21st 05 07:16 PM

Steve B. wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:42:39 -0400, wrote:
>

>>I have a 1989 Corolla which runs fine but I believe the A/C may be a bit
>>low on refrigerant. It blows cold but not quite as cold as I believe it
>>should be. I have been told that Freeze 12 is a replacement for the R-12
>>which cannot be gotten. Can I just add a little Freeze 12 to my R-12
>>system? Has anyone had any experince using Freeze 12? Thanks for any
>>advice or help. The car is in great shape and has 87K miles.
>>
>>Doug and Patty

> R12 is still plentiful though you do need a license to get it. You
> should not mix Freeze 12 and R12. Since the car is otherwise in great
> shape just call around until you find someone who will top off the
> system for you.
>
> You shouldn't mix refrigerants in the system. You can have the r12
> evacuated and the system changed over to 134a if you wish but it would
> make more sense just to top off what you have.
>
> Steve B.

I would stay away from Freeze 12. Keep to either R12 or R134a. R134a is
cheaper and more plentiful, but R12 will give better cooling performance
in a system designed for it, like your Corolla. Just for a top off
shouldn't be too expensive - its about $80 per pound, and the entire
system holds less than 2 pounds.