AutoBanter

-   BMW (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   How often do I have to change oil? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=71117)

[email protected] July 31st 06 03:32 AM

How often do I have to change oil?

2006 330xi

Oil change every 4k mils, or once a year?
I couldn't find a clear answer from owner's manual.

Thanks for any comments.

Floyd Rogers[_1_] July 31st 06 04:40 AM

How often do I have to change oil?

> wrote
> 2006 330xi
>
> Oil change every 4k mils, or once a year?
> I couldn't find a clear answer from owner's manual.

The manual is actually quite clear, as is the car. The car's
computer counts down - look at the message line in the
instrument panel - and tells you when. Once yearly or
about 15K miles.

Many people halve the 15K.

FloydR

bfd[_1_] July 31st 06 05:00 AM

"Floyd Rogers" > wrote in message
> > wrote
> > 2006 330xi
> >
> > Oil change every 4k mils, or once a year?
> > I couldn't find a clear answer from owner's manual.

> The manual is actually quite clear, as is the car. The car's
> computer counts down - look at the message line in the
> instrument panel - and tells you when. Once yearly or
> about 15K miles.
>
> Many people halve the 15K.

Agree, with synthetic oil, if you do alot of "city" driving, change oil
every 7.5K-8K; if alot of "freeway," then 10K-15K. Also, don't forget to
change the oil filter too!

E Brown July 31st 06 05:02 AM

On 30 Jul 2006 19:32:47 -0700, wrote:

>2006 330xi
>
>Oil change every 4k mils, or once a year?
>I couldn't find a clear answer from owner's manual.

You couldn't? Because it's pretty clear BMW says it's needed every
15,000 miles, as part of the scheduled services. If I waited that
long, my oil would be several years old by the time it was changed, so
I change it myself at the 7500 mile mark.
epbrown
--
"Everybody wants a normal life and a cool car;
most people will settle for the car." Chris Titus

Branden Nelsen July 31st 06 01:30 PM

How often do I have to change oil?

Like everyone said, its about 15K according the manual. Myself I change the
oil every 3-4K.

-Branden

[email protected] July 31st 06 01:37 PM

Floyd Rogers wrote:
> > wrote
> > 2006 330xi
> >
> > Oil change every 4k mils, or once a year?
> > I couldn't find a clear answer from owner's manual.

> The manual is actually quite clear, as is the car. The car's
> computer counts down - look at the message line in the
> instrument panel - and tells you when. Once yearly or
> about 15K miles.
>
> Many people halve the 15K.
>
> FloydR

Thanks a lot, guys!

Dave Plowman (News) July 31st 06 02:17 PM

How often do I have to change oil?

In article . com>,
> wrote:
> Oil change every 4k mils, or once a year?
> I couldn't find a clear answer from owner's manual.

Change it when the service indictor tells you to - it is explained in the
handbook. The specified oil is expensive synthetic designed to have a long
life. Changing it earlier than when indicated is simply throwing away
money and will have no effect on the engine's life.

--
*Not all men are annoying. Some are dead.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

news[_1_] July 31st 06 06:36 PM

How often do I have to change oil?

in my 1998 the original oil wasnt synthetic.so i dont know about using the
manual.

for synthetic i change the oil filter when the green lights are gone.
then i wait till the next time the lights are out or once a year to change
the oil .
i use Mobil 1 0W40

John Carrier July 31st 06 10:21 PM

How often do I have to change oil?

"Branden Nelsen" > wrote in message
> Like everyone said, its about 15K according the manual. Myself I change
> the oil every 3-4K.
>
> -Branden

Overkill with synthetic.

R / John

John Carrier July 31st 06 10:22 PM

"E Brown" > wrote in message
> On 30 Jul 2006 19:32:47 -0700, wrote:
>
>>2006 330xi
>>
>>Oil change every 4k mils, or once a year?
>>I couldn't find a clear answer from owner's manual.
>>

> You couldn't? Because it's pretty clear BMW says it's needed every
> 15,000 miles, as part of the scheduled services. If I waited that
> long, my oil would be several years old by the time it was changed, so
> I change it myself at the 7500 mile mark.
> epbrown

BMW now recommends at the service interval or once a year, whichever occurs
first.

R / John