FishKeepingBanter.com

FishKeepingBanter.com (http://www.fishkeepingbanter.com/index.php)
-   General (http://www.fishkeepingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Whisper Diatomagic filter (http://www.fishkeepingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=26963)

Dick Sharp January 17th 06 03:59 PM

Whisper Diatomagic filter

hello all. I have a Whisper Diatomagic filter and instead of using the
packaged filter powder I am using bulk media (much cheaper) My
question is how much to use? I have ben using two heaping tablespoons
full with good success.
Thanks
Dick

Richard Sexton January 17th 06 05:00 PM

Whisper Diatomagic filter

In article ,
Dick Sharp wrote:
hello all. I have a Whisper Diatomagic filter and instead of using the
packaged filter powder I am using bulk media (much cheaper) My
question is how much to use? I have ben using two heaping tablespoons
full with good success.

I use swimming pool diatom powder too and have for yeras, uh, decades. Works
fine. Can't beat the price.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

Koi-lo January 17th 06 06:57 PM

Whisper Diatomagic filter

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
In article ,
Dick Sharp wrote:
hello all. I have a Whisper Diatomagic filter and instead of using the
packaged filter powder I am using bulk media (much cheaper) My
question is how much to use? I have ben using two heaping tablespoons
full with good success.

I use swimming pool diatom powder too and have for yeras, uh, decades.
Works
fine. Can't beat the price.

============================
You can also use the gravel and rock from Home Depot or Lowe's in tanks.
It's a fraction of the rip-off prices the pet/aquarium stores charge. They
have a beautiful small brown pea gravel I love and it's only around $2.99
for a 50lb sack. I love the "river rocks" and "egg rocks" they also sell.
Mixed with the gravel it gives the tanks a very natural look. Check them
out the next time you're at one of these stores.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

NetMax January 18th 06 06:12 PM

Whisper Diatomagic filter

Dick Sharp wrote:
[...]

But not for a filter ;~)
--
www.NetMax.tk

Koi-lo January 18th 06 08:17 PM

Whisper Diatomagic filter

"NetMax" wrote in message
. ..

Dick Sharp wrote:
[...]

==========================
For the filter you buy their lavarock for a fraction of the price the
Aquarium stores charge. ;-) I use it in my Aquaclears on top of the
sponges. Wonderful stuff to "seed" new tanks with.

NetMax January 18th 06 08:53 PM

Whisper Diatomagic filter

"Koi-lo" wrote in message

"NetMax" wrote in message
. ..

Dick Sharp wrote:
[...]

The diatomaceous earth packets being replaced by diatom powder (ie: from
pool supplier, good idea) is a water polisher, and not comparable in
function to lavarock, pea gravel or river rocks. .. unless I'm
misunderstanding the post you are discussing something quite different,
and I'm sure you know what diatom powder is used for.
cheers
--
www.NetMax.tk

Elaine T January 18th 06 11:09 PM

Whisper Diatomagic filter

NetMax wrote:
"Koi-lo" wrote in message

"NetMax" wrote in message
m...

Dick Sharp wrote:

[...]

I think Koi-lo is reminding us that there's more than DE that is
fish-safe and can be purchased cheap at the hardware store. I like the
idea of putting cheap chunks of lava rock in Aquaclears! I've also
painted $10 shop lights with Rustoleum and used them over 55 gallon
tanks with great success.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Steve January 18th 06 11:42 PM

Whisper Diatomagic filter

Elaine T wrote:

I think Koi-lo is reminding us that there's more than DE that is
fish-safe and can be purchased cheap at the hardware store. I like the
idea of putting cheap chunks of lava rock in Aquaclears! I've also
painted $10 shop lights with Rustoleum and used them over 55 gallon
tanks with great success.

It's economical and fun to use materials from various stores, home-made
items and items direct from nature. I've used:
- shoplights in home-made wooden canopy
- home-made wooden aquarium stand: it's cheap and exactly the right height
- slate I collected from outcrop
- granite cobbles and pieces of limestone found out and about
- sand, gravel and soil from outside, and also peat moss from garden centre
- CaCO3 "usp" powder from the drug store
- Potassium nitrate, sulphate and trace element mix from the hydroponics
store
- "garden limestone" (ground dolomitic limestone) from the garden centre
- empty buckets that had contained garden fertilizer
- old garden hose instead of Python (TM)
- razor scraper from hardware store and scrub pads from grocery store
- "pickling" salt from grocery store
- ??

Another aquarist I know also made his own wet-dry filter and collected
driftwood and aquarium plants from nature. He used metal halide lamps
from the hydroponics store, too.

We should also be able to use fish and amphibians from nature's ponds,
but I haven't tried.

Do other folks do this, and do you have favourite aquarium items NOT
from the aquarium store?

Steve

NetMax January 19th 06 12:02 AM

Whisper Diatomagic filter

"Elaine T" wrote in message
. com...
NetMax wrote:
"Koi-lo" wrote in message

"NetMax" wrote in message
om...

Dick Sharp wrote:

[...]

Not to be a stickler, but Richard suggested the cheap alternative. I
don't think you can put a couple of teaspoons of lava rock in a Whisper
DE filter sleeve, and if you could, it wouldn't do what the DE does. I'm
all for using non-LFS stuff to save money, but if I suggest an incorrect
application, I sure hope someone here quickly corrects me.

I hope we're not getting too 'politically correct' to be able to make
corrections on each other's posts without worrying about someone taking
offence, but just in case, Koi-lo, no offence intended :o). ok? ..and if
I make a mistake, feel free to go to town on me ;~).
--
www.NetMax.tk

Dick Sharp January 19th 06 12:35 AM

Whisper Diatomagic filter

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:02:40 -0500, "NetMax"
Not to be a stickler, but Richard suggested the cheap alternative. I
don't think you can put a couple of teaspoons of lava rock in a Whisper
DE filter sleeve, and if you could, it wouldn't do what the DE does. I'm
all for using non-LFS stuff to save money, but if I suggest an incorrect
application, I sure hope someone here quickly corrects me.

I hope we're not getting too 'politically correct' to be able to make
corrections on each other's posts without worrying about someone taking
offence, but just in case, Koi-lo, no offence intended :o). ok? ..and if
I make a mistake, feel free to go to town on me ;~).

Can some one answer my original question about how much diatomaceous
earth to use in my filter...PLEASE