AutoBanter

-   BMW (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Reboring /sleeving 740 4.4 engine (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=73392)

Dave Plowman (News) August 29th 06 11:39 PM

Reboring /sleeving 740 4.4 engine

In article >,
Fred W > wrote:
> No. You can't resleeve an engine that does not have sleeves.

No - but you can *sleeve* some. Used to be common if the wear or damage
exceeded the maximum re-bore size. Gave you a better bore material, too.

> The Alusil or Nikasil engines are alloy blocks with a very thin
> coating in the bores. Not sleeves.

Dunno if it's possible to sleeve the V-8. Some of the alluminium sixes had
liners after the Nikasil thingie.

> They will find this was a very expensive mistake. New short block, new
> head. Big bucks.

I hope not built up by the same firm that drops bits inside the engine
without noticing...;-)

Personally, I'd go for a similar mileage engine from a wreck.

--
*Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Cords August 30th 06 06:56 AM

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article >,
> Fred W > wrote:
> > No. You can't resleeve an engine that does not have sleeves.

> No - but you can *sleeve* some. Used to be common if the wear or damage
> exceeded the maximum re-bore size. Gave you a better bore material, too.
>
> > The Alusil or Nikasil engines are alloy blocks with a very thin
> > coating in the bores. Not sleeves.

> Dunno if it's possible to sleeve the V-8. Some of the alluminium sixes had
> liners after the Nikasil thingie.
>
> > They will find this was a very expensive mistake. New short block, new
> > head. Big bucks.

> I hope not built up by the same firm that drops bits inside the engine
> without noticing...;-)
>
> Personally, I'd go for a similar mileage engine from a wreck.
>
> --
> *Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake.
>
> Dave Plowman London SW
> To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Thanks for all the advice.....looks like I might have a small fight on
my hands!
I wander what BMW Germany official stance would be on re sleeving a
Alusil block?
Thanks again to all!

Richard Sexton August 30th 06 09:06 AM

Jim > wrote:
>These engines are made from an aluminum alloy that has copious quantities of
>a very hard material (forget which one). Anyway, a very thin layer of hard
>material forms the wear surface. Go through that, and you are left with
>aluminum which is a very very very poor choice for wear.

Silicon. It's the "sil" in nika/aluma-sil.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net

Dave Plowman (News) August 30th 06 11:17 AM

Reboring /sleeving 740 4.4 engine

In article om>,
Cords > wrote:
> I wander what BMW Germany official stance would be on re sleeving a
> Alusil block?

Somewhere I'd heard there were problems using a boring machine with alusil
- heavy wear on the cutter.

--
*Therapy is expensive, poppin' bubble wrap is cheap! You choose.

R. Mark Clayton August 30th 06 12:39 PM

"Rex B" > wrote in message
> Fred W wrote:
>> Cords wrote:
>>> I had unfortunate incident at a BMW dealership. Whilst sevicing My 1997
>>> 740 4.4 litre the technician accidently dropped the screw top of the
>>> spark plug into one bore. Needless to say on start up destroyed the
>>> head and scored the cylinder. The dealership now wants to machine the
>>> bore and put in a metal liner.
>>> Is this possible on a aluminium alusil engine?
>>> I would have thought the correct thing to do would be to replace the
>>> block or the entire engine!
>>>
>>> Any advice would be appreciated
>>> Cords
>>>

>> No. You can't resleeve an engine that does not have sleeves.

> Sure you can. It was routine back when Vegas roamed the earth.
> Still is a big business when you need to reclaim an otherwise good block
> that might not be replaceable. It is a common, weekly operation at any
> automotive machine shop.
>
> But even then they didn't sleeve just the one bad cylinder.

See previous, AFAIAA the walls are too thin to bore out and sleeve.

Fred W[_1_] August 30th 06 01:07 PM

Rex B wrote:
> Fred W wrote:
>
>> Cords wrote:
>>
>>> I had unfortunate incident at a BMW dealership. Whilst sevicing My 1997
>>> 740 4.4 litre the technician accidently dropped the screw top of the
>>> spark plug into one bore. Needless to say on start up destroyed the
>>> head and scored the cylinder. The dealership now wants to machine the
>>> bore and put in a metal liner.
>>> Is this possible on a aluminium alusil engine?
>>> I would have thought the correct thing to do would be to replace the
>>> block or the entire engine!
>>>
>>> Any advice would be appreciated
>>> Cords
>>>

>> No. You can't resleeve an engine that does not have sleeves.

> Sure you can. It was routine back when Vegas roamed the earth.
> Still is a big business when you need to reclaim an otherwise good block
> that might not be replaceable. It is a common, weekly operation at any
> automotive machine shop.
>
> But even then they didn't sleeve just the one bad cylinder.

Yes, you are technically correct. It can be done. I should have said,
"you *shouldn't*...". The ngine was not designed for sleeves and would
not run the same.

Besides, why settle for some bodged-up repair when the shop was
obviously fully liable for the incident?

--
-Fred W

Jim[_11_] August 30th 06 02:13 PM

"Richard Sexton" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Jim > wrote:
>>These engines are made from an aluminum alloy that has copious quantities
>>of
>>a very hard material (forget which one). Anyway, a very thin layer of
>>hard
>>material forms the wear surface. Go through that, and you are left with
>>aluminum which is a very very very poor choice for wear.

> Silicon. It's the "sil" in nika/aluma-sil.
>

> --
> Need Mercedes parts? http://parts.mbz.org
> Richard Sexton | Mercedes stuff: http://mbz.org
> 1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
> 633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | http://aquaria.net http://killi.net

During the manufacturing, all but the silica gets removed from the cylinder
bore.

Jim