AutoBanter

-   BMW (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Change Wheel Bearings in 1992 E36 325i (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=70248)

Kevin Shen July 20th 06 07:01 PM

Change Wheel Bearings in 1992 E36 325i

Dear Sir/Madam:

I have an E36 1992 325i 4-Door with a little over 188,000 miles
(304,560 km) on it and worn wheel bearings. Lately, I have noticed
that there is a groaning sound when I drive (especially at highway and
at high speeds), which I strongly suspect is caused by worn wheel
bearings. What are the (step-by-step) procedures that are involved to
change the front wheel bearings and the rear wheel bearings?

Are there any Internet resources out there that have details about
changing wheel bearings on E36 BMW's? During my search on the
Internet, I have found Internet resources for doing wheel bearing
changes on E30 BMW's, BUT NOT on E36 BMW's. In addition, my Haynes
repair shop manual for my E36 mentions nothing at all about replacing
wheel bearings.

I have heard that it is much easier to replace the front wheel bearings
than the rear wheel bearings. Which wheel bearings are the best ones
to get and approximately how much do they cost (in US Dollars, please)?

I would greatly appreciate any help, ideas, insights, and the like from
anybody out there who can help me with this. Thank you in advance for
your assistance.

Sincerely,

Kevin Shen