AutoBanter

-   Jeep (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   98 GRAND CHEROKEE BATTERY BEING DRAINED (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=32089)

JEEPR May 7th 05 08:48 PM

98 GRAND CHEROKEE BATTERY BEING DRAINED

As indicated something is killing my battery, Thought it was the battery
myself because I had just recently replaced the headlight module after is
shorted out and left the headlight on to drain the battery.
Now the battery is being drained. Brand new battery drained in three days.
Any ideas. Hate electrical don't want to pay 85 an hour for diagnosing.

Matt
0|||||||0
Tact is the ability to describe others as they see themselves

Dick May 7th 05 10:22 PM

What I would do would be to take off the negative cable at the battery
and put a VOM in series with the battery and cable with the VOM set to
the highest current reading. Once I knew how much is being drawn from
the battery, I could make a conclusion as to if it is the battery or
something in the Jeep that is drawing too much current. If there is a
large current draw (more than one or two hundred milliamperes), I
would start pulling fuses until the culprit is identified. You have
to be careful using a VOM as they won't handle much current. You want
to make sure nothing is on that you can see, like the hood lamp,
interior lamps, etc. You don't want to fry the VOM too!

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III May 7th 05 10:46 PM

Hi Matt,
An alternator diode may act like that, disconnect the alternator
form it's battery wire and put a ten dollar voltmeter in-between to
confirm it's leaking. If you accidentally lose connection with the
battery while it was run, or crossed polarity even for an instant the
alternator is history.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

mic canic May 8th 05 01:47 AM

you want your jeep fixed but you don't know how to do it, but yet you don't
want ot pay anyone to fix it ! you don't want much

Dave Milne May 8th 05 06:47 AM

Welcome to the whole point of usenet where you develop new skills and then
share them with others.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

JEEPR May 8th 05 03:07 PM

Don't really trust garages, took my battery to get tested, told me it had a
defective cell, So I say ok and buy another one, bring it home and install
it, dead in three days, If anybody is just going to miss diagnose I can
just as well as a garage I'm paying 85 an hour to screw me over.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III May 8th 05 03:27 PM

Except Matt, had already guessed wrong buying a new battery
thinking that was the problem. Apparently he doesn't own a ten dollar
voltmeter, he should have paid someone that does.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Dave Milne May 8th 05 04:31 PM

Well, you have learned something now, Bill :-)
Seriously, I think it's better to read the manual and learn from a mate than
it is too always book stuff into the garage, and not learn anything. While
you will screw up from time to time, you win out in the long term. While not
deluding myself as a great mechanic, I thank my Dad frequently for what he
has taught me.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Dave Milne May 8th 05 04:36 PM

"you have learned HIM something now" I meant...

--
Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III May 8th 05 05:10 PM

Yes, but you have to at least have a voltmeter in your tool box,
before you may start testing an electrical problem.
I thank my Dad, too. And Mom for letting me drive twenty dollar
cars on twenty five cent tires.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/