AutoBanter

-   Corvette (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Fibreglass problem (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=72906)

Tom in Missouri August 23rd 06 03:14 PM

Fibreglass problem

This is very interesting, since the reason most old car people began to use
the DOT 5 silicone brake fluid was the safety of using it around car
finishes.

This is great (sarcasm), since I have a car with the fender down to factory
primer and had the master cylinder blow DOT 5 all over it while trying to
pressure bleed the MC.

Dad[_1_] August 23rd 06 03:39 PM

Fibreglass problem

"Tom in Missouri" > wrote in message
k.net...
> This is very interesting, since the reason most old car people began to use
> the DOT 5 silicone brake fluid was the safety of using it around car finishes.
>
> This is great (sarcasm), since I have a car with the fender down to factory
> primer and had the master cylinder blow DOT 5 all over it while trying to
> pressure bleed the MC.

This old car person never used it and anything that contains silicone is in
another building. Never thought of the coupe having had the fluid changed and
paid dearly for not paying attention.

As I said in the earlier post you need to eliminate as much of the silicone as
you can and then cover the effected area with a tough coating, epoxy resin
and/or self etching primer. Anything that can break surface tension as well as
silicone needs all the attention you can give it before you try to color coat.
On metal and fiberglass I still flash out the area with a torch as a start to
kill its affect on adhesion and then clean while still hot. On the '66 the paint
started breaking up just as I was finishing the first color coat and it had to
be washed down and prepped all over to even consider another color coat.

SilverStude August 24th 06 12:30 AM

Fibreglass problem

Tom in Missouri wrote:
> This is very interesting, since the reason most old car people began to use
> the DOT 5 silicone brake fluid was the safety of using it around car
> finishes.
>
> This is great (sarcasm), since I have a car with the fender down to factory
> primer and had the master cylinder blow DOT 5 all over it while trying to
> pressure bleed the MC.
>

> "SilverStude" > wrote in message
>> A couple years after painting this car in the late 90's, blisters started
>> to appear on the DS fender. The problem got so bad that the car was
>> sidelined until recently, when it was decided to try and remedy the paint
>> problem.
>> After the shop stripped the paint, and wiped it down, a stain started
>> to appear where the blisters were. It was determined that this stain is
>> silicone brake fluid wicking it's way into the fender.
>>
>> The area in question has been treated with Prep-sol, to no avail. The
>> next level was an aircraft quality silicone remover, which does ok on the
>> surface, but the stains bleed back up after a couple hours. There is also
>> another product, we used, that is supposed to penetrate, combine with and
>> remove silicone, but it appears to have 'energized' the stuff and now,
>> it's spreading further.
>>
>> The origin was obviously the master cylinder and the fluid has wicked
>> it's way around to the front of the car now
>> Anyone have any suggestions as to what approach to take on removing this
>> stuff from the panels, so it can be painted. Is there anything you can
>> use over it to seal it in?
>>
>> Replacement of the panels isn't an option.
>>
>> Any advice wiould be greatly appreciated... Mine is "never use silicone
>> brake fluid"
>>
>> thanks
>> BobJ
>> Great Falls, VA

What's your email address?

Tom in Missouri August 25th 06 03:25 PM

Fibreglass problem

Normally, I never give it out. Too many spam bots pick them up and flood
the mailboxes. I've had a couple of addresses I've had to shut down as they
got several hundred spam a day. And on the public newsgroups, I've seen
people bombarded and harassed too much to give it out too casually.

What's up?

'Key August 25th 06 08:26 PM

Fibreglass problem

"Tom in Missouri" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Normally, I never give it out. Too many spam bots pick
> them up and flood the mailboxes. I've had a couple of
> addresses I've had to shut down as they got several
> hundred spam a day. And on the public newsgroups, I've
> seen people bombarded and harassed too much to give it out
> too casually.

I have a few of them free/disposable accounts just for this
reason.

g'day
--
"Key"