AutoBanter

-   Driving (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Main Use For V1 Arrows (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=8261)

[email protected] January 14th 05 03:27 AM

The Main Use For V1 Arrows

I just read this account of the V1 and it's "mind blowing arrows" at
www.radardetector.net. It was so funny I had to post it here.

TRUE STORY:

I have a story about the V1 and the usefulness of the arrows too. My
uncle drive a 98 Trans Am w 30 or something like that. All I know is
the damned thing is faster than greased lightening and handles very
well at high speed. He usually drives about 95 mph on turnpikes and
interstates.

He knew I was a radar detector user for years and he asked my opinion
of what was worth having. Of course I told him it's just like anything
else. You get what you pay for...up to a point. "Don't buy a $49
detector! " I said.

Anyway I told him the only ones I'd seriously consider would be a BEL
RX65, Escort x50 or maybe a V1. My opinion after 25 years plus of using
RDs says the V1 is a great detector but is over rated and over priced.
My suggestion was one of the other two because NO radar detector is
foolproof and I believe in bang for the buck.

Well he has to have the biggest...baddest...most expensive of
everything. It's some sort of ego/big dick mentality with him. I think
he's going through a mid life crisis.

So we were cruising up the Will Rogers Turnpike (I-44) going to Joplin
to look at a bike. He was running 95 to 100 mph and the V1 was dead
quite. The thing never falses. We came flying over this rise and the V1
went full alert on Ka the arrow pointed ^. The bogie counter show a big
fat uno (1)on the display. Unc slammed the brakes on but it was too
late. An instant later (maybe one second) the arrows on the almighty V1
went < > as we passed the OHP trooper on the side of the road. There
was no lag in the arrow display. The arrow indicator was smooth and
responsive showing the exact location of the adversary. Then the arrow
pointed v as the OHP trooper pulled in behind us getting up to speed to
catch us and give Unc a big fat ticket! He clocked him at 89 mph. DAMN
those arrows were AWESOME! Because of those arrows we never had any
doubt of the direction the money would be flowing.

[email protected] January 14th 05 02:08 PM

Does your uncle have "Camaro hair"?

[email protected] January 14th 05 02:08 PM

Does your uncle have "Camaro hair"?

Arif Khokar January 14th 05 04:40 PM

wrote:

> I have a story about the V1 and the usefulness of the arrows too. My
> uncle drive a 98 Trans Am w 30 or something like that. All I know is
> the damned thing is faster than greased lightening and handles very
> well at high speed. He usually drives about 95 mph on turnpikes and
> interstates.

<snip>

> So we were cruising up the Will Rogers Turnpike (I-44) going to Joplin
> to look at a bike. He was running 95 to 100 mph and the V1 was dead
> quite. The thing never falses. We came flying over this rise and the V1
> went full alert on Ka the arrow pointed ^.

That guy was an idiot if he thought he could react fast enough to
instant on RADAR without some traffic ahead of him. I'll drive that
fast if there's some traffic on the road to "trigger" the cop so that he
can trigger my RD, but not otherwise (RD or not).

Arif Khokar January 14th 05 04:40 PM

wrote:

> I have a story about the V1 and the usefulness of the arrows too. My
> uncle drive a 98 Trans Am w 30 or something like that. All I know is
> the damned thing is faster than greased lightening and handles very
> well at high speed. He usually drives about 95 mph on turnpikes and
> interstates.

<snip>

[email protected] January 14th 05 08:05 PM

No he wasn't an idiot. There were two cars in front of us. One about
1 mile the other about 1/2 mile. Apparently the OHP trooper never
triggered the other cars and zapped him first.

These troopers are getting much more savy at catching Rd users.

[email protected] January 14th 05 08:05 PM

Paul Hovnanian P.E. January 15th 05 05:50 AM

wrote:

> No he wasn't an idiot. There were two cars in front of us. One about
> 1 mile the other about 1/2 mile. Apparently the OHP trooper never
> triggered the other cars and zapped him first.
>
> These troopers are getting much more savy at catching Rd users.

This is true.

The local cops and state patrol are all using some pretty fancy data
linked systems for stuff like DMV data access, real time patrol car
status, live dashboard cam feeds back to H.Q. etc. Most of this stuff is
always on.

Has anyone looked into building a sniffer for these r.f. signals? One
wouldn't need to decrypt the content, only detect its presence (although
one system that broadcasts GPS car locations might be interesting). Then
you'd have an alarm for law enforcement in the vicinity, even if they
were just pacing people or using a stopwatch.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Just say 'No' to Windows.

Paul Hovnanian P.E. January 15th 05 05:50 AM

Brent P January 15th 05 06:27 AM

In article >, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

> Has anyone looked into building a sniffer for these r.f. signals? One
> wouldn't need to decrypt the content, only detect its presence (although
> one system that broadcasts GPS car locations might be interesting). Then
> you'd have an alarm for law enforcement in the vicinity, even if they
> were just pacing people or using a stopwatch.

Time to write up your patent application! :)