AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   '64 chassis and '72 Body compatible? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=38817)

arking88 July 22nd 05 03:25 AM

'64 chassis and '72 Body compatible?

Hi Everyone,

I posted this question on another news group and was told to put it
here. I have a good '64 chassis and a friend has a '72 Body that we'd
like to put together. What are the modifications, if any, that are
required to make this union complete? I'm assuming at the moment that
the body is not a Super Beetle. Are there major differences between
the standard and super beetle? I know the front suspension is
different, but are the chassis otherwise pretty similar? Any help
would be much appreciated. I'm just now getting introduced into the VW
world, so bare with me! Thanks,

AK

P.J. Berg July 27th 05 05:30 PM

arking88 wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I posted this question on another news group and was told to put it
> here. I have a good '64 chassis and a friend has a '72 Body that we'd
> like to put together. What are the modifications, if any, that are
> required to make this union complete? I'm assuming at the moment that
> the body is not a Super Beetle. Are there major differences between
> the standard and super beetle? I know the front suspension is
> different, but are the chassis otherwise pretty similar? Any help
> would be much appreciated. I'm just now getting introduced into the VW
> world, so bare with me! Thanks,
>
> AK

If you are indeed talking of a standard body and chassis the only mods
required are moving the rear body mounts where the shock towers are
located(rear inner fender).

A super and standard are not compatible without major surgery(read not
worth the hassle).

J.