AutoBanter

-   Mazda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft. (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=74364)

Trent[_1_] September 11th 06 02:36 PM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

I have a '90 Miata with a 1.6, I have only had it for about a
month, I have started driving it on a regular basis to work and noticed
a shimmy feeling in the car, I took it and had the wheels balanced and
rotated over the weekend, but as I was coming in to work today, I
noticed the shimming is still there, to describe the shimming goes
something like this, at about 60-70 mph, the car vibrates for a time
then stops for a time, it's like the driveshaft is unbalanced, after
the wheels were balanced, the vibration in the car has stopped but the
shimming has continued... does anyone know what the shimming may be...
thanks for the help... Trent

Christopher Muto[_1_] September 11th 06 02:47 PM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

i would think it is more likely due to a wheel bearing. the question is
which of the four. i ended up replacing all of mine at about 110,000 miles
because of a little shimmy in the front at high speed. the ones removed
just fell apart and did not require a press to remove them so it was good to
have done them all.

oups.com...

Lanny Chambers September 11th 06 03:53 PM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

In article .com>,
"Trent" > wrote:

> I took it and had the wheels balanced and
> rotated over the weekend, but as I was coming in to work today, I
> noticed the shimming is still there

Miatas are very sensitive to wheel balance. You need a better balance
job. Find a shop with a Hunter GSP9700 he
http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis

Christopher Muto[_1_] September 11th 06 08:33 PM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

lanny's advice is always sound. the problem may just be the widely known
wheel ballance issue. but it could be the bearings as it was in my can and
which has similar symptons. you may find this an interesting read....
http://www.miata.net/garage/65_mph.html

XS11E[_1_] September 11th 06 11:01 PM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

"Christopher Muto" > wrote in

> lanny's advice is always sound. the problem may just be the
> widely known wheel ballance issue. but it could be the bearings
> as it was in my can and which has similar symptons. you may find
> this an interesting read....
> http://www.miata.net/garage/65_mph.html

I should mention that a bubble balance with a knowledgeable tech will
do a MUCH better balance job than a spin balancer that is out of
calibration. My personal experience is that a LOT of spin balancers
are out of calibration, probably most of them.

The OP might take the tires back to the original shop, ask them to
rebalance the tires after calibrating the balancer. It's not hard to
do but most shop will never do it.

Mike September 12th 06 02:10 AM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

Make sure that all 4 tires are inflated between 26 psi and 28 psi.

Trent[_1_] September 12th 06 03:02 PM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

I appreciate all the advise, I'll check the wheel bearings when I
get home....I really like this site, there are alot of knowledgable
folks out there when it comes to dealing with the little Miata...
Thanks again.... Trent

Remove This September 12th 06 05:27 PM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

"Trent" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I appreciate all the advise, I'll check the wheel bearings when I
> get home....I really like this site, there are alot of knowledgable
> folks out there when it comes to dealing with the little Miata...

I'm little. That makes my Miata BIGGGG.
LOL

--
I work for the ILEC ...." stuff happens! "

pws[_1_] September 12th 06 06:13 PM

Remove This wrote:

> I'm little. That makes my Miata BIGGGG.
> LOL

Yes, as much as I wouldn't mind a few extra inches in height and a
little extra weight, the miata looks like it was designed for someone my
size.
If it had a tilt steering wheel, it would never be used by me.

Have you ever seen a really big person in a miata? It looks funny as
hell. I have a friend who is 6'5" with long legs/short torso. His head
fits underneath the top, but his knees were up around his ears.
He went on exactly one ride and said no way, ever.
I agreed with him. I don't think it would have been safe for him to
drive it.

I know that there are a lot of very tall and/or heavy people driving
miatas that make do, but that is exactly what they are doing, making do.
There is no way that the car fits them as perfectly as it does to
someone close to my size.

Pat

XS11E[_1_] September 12th 06 06:25 PM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

pws > wrote in
:

> I know that there are a lot of very tall and/or heavy people
> driving miatas that make do, but that is exactly what they are
> doing, making do. There is no way that the car fits them as
> perfectly as it does to someone close to my size.

I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam and the Miata fits me perfectly, as if
designed specifically for my size. I've driven it on trips of around
400 miles or so and am completely happy with the fit.

It's also white, maybe white Miatas fit better as well as being faster?
Leon can explain it, I'm sure.