AutoBanter

-   Antique cars (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   '76 MG Midget and '78 Spitfire 1500 engine swap? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=7019)

Rick September 3rd 03 03:55 AM

'76 MG Midget and '78 Spitfire 1500 engine swap?

The basic question is, can I swap a 1976 MG Midget engine into a 1978
Triumph Spitfire? To make matters worse I'm in California with all the
smog requirements, fortunately both cars are already California cars
from the factory.

The longer story is a did a very clean rebuild of the MG engine (about
$2,500) then ran into smog pump problems and sort of lost interest in
the car. Body is a bit worn and the interior trashed anyway.

Just picked up the Spitfire which has a decent body and mediocre engine.

I would love to see that engine run that I worked over, if it fits the
Triumph that would be great.

An alternative is to complete the MG and get what I can sell it for. I'm
too tall for the MG but fit the Triumph so the MG has to go.

Thanks in advance for comments/opinions.

Rick

Eu Gra September 3rd 03 10:47 PM

Rick wrote:
> The basic question is, can I swap a 1976 MG Midget engine into a 1978
> Triumph Spitfire? To make matters worse I'm in California with all
> the smog requirements, fortunately both cars are already California
> cars from the factory.

there is a great english car garage on Dale in Cambell, CA go talk to
them....

Regards,
Eugenio

The Guy October 18th 03 02:47 PM

You can obtain all the components required to repair the smog pump at
www.mossmotors.com

calebs67 November 4th 03 03:52 PM

you should be able to do a clean swap. some things will be different
though. like the radiator. as far as the midget - they dont sell for
much. probably not worth fixing just to sell.