AutoBanter

-   Alfa Romeo (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Alfa Romeo 159 - Auto Express (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=35614)

Simon C June 16th 05 12:13 PM

Alfa Romeo 159 - Auto Express

An interesting review and first drive of the 159 can be found he

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/preview...romeo_159.html

Makes for good reading.

Simon C
156 2.4JTD V1 (2002)
To reply: remove nospam. from the address

David Beamish June 16th 05 01:09 PM

Simon C wibbled in this way:

> An interesting review and first drive of the 159 can be found he
>
> http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/preview...romeo_159.html
>
> Makes for good reading.
>
> Simon C
> 156 2.4JTD V1 (2002)
> To reply: remove nospam. from the address

theres a 4 page or maybe 6 page in AutoCAR too.. i bought it for the Le
Mans pull out tho.. which is where Im spending this weekend :-)

--
David

The fish of the day is trout a la creme

Catman June 16th 05 04:48 PM

Simon C wrote:

> An interesting review and first drive of the 159 can be found he
>
> http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/preview...romeo_159.html
>
> Makes for good reading.

Looks like fun :)
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk

Simon C June 16th 05 05:03 PM

Catman wrote:

> Looks like fun :)

Looks like my next car!

Cheers
Simon C

Zathras June 16th 05 07:10 PM

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:13:07 +0100, "Simon C"
> wrote:

>An interesting review and first drive of the 159 can be found he
>
>http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/preview...romeo_159.html
>
>Makes for good reading.

Yeah! It's the same old same old though!! I had the joy of scouring
the world for reviews and comment on the 156 from the press and users
in 2001 (6 inches thickness of paperwork in total). Call me cynical,
but, in far too many instances in this 'review' you can just change
156 to 155 and 159 to 156 and you've got the same reviews as the 156
got. I didn't believe it then and I don't believe it now.

There are a couple things that worry me about this car for UK use:

1/ That nose tip looks just as far from the front wheels as the 156 so
it may get a good scrubbing at speed on lumpy UK roads.
2/ The 159 (Q4?) has had an intensive test at the Nurburgring - great!
This guarantees that it will be rubbish (like the 156 GTA) on UK roads
which have nothing in common with the Nurburgring. I hope they tested
other models on real roads (preferably rubbish UK ones!)

The only hope is if the all-new chassis is much better than the 156.

Other concerns:

Stylistically, this car doesn't appear as radical as the 156 - a car
which stood out amazingly when introduced with it's hidden rear door
handles and off-centre front registration plate. I just don't lust
after this design like I did for the 156. Inside, there's 'hint of
BMW'. Look how far the centre console instruments are from hand and
eye! Perhaps it'll look better in the flesh than in pictures - I hope
so as that front styling just looks a bit flat compared to a
voluptuous mk1 156.

Worst of all, the wife likes it so I'd better get saving!!!

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)

Mr Flipflops June 16th 05 07:41 PM

"Simon C" > wrote in message
> An interesting review and first drive of the 159 can be found he
>
> http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/preview...romeo_159.html
>
> Makes for good reading.
>
> Simon C
> 156 2.4JTD V1 (2002)
> To reply: remove nospam. from the address

Well, when I read "starter button" I cringed. Thats one piece of nonsense I
can do without.

alfistagj June 16th 05 07:50 PM

Only thing left to do is to convince the mrs the emigrate to
Europe..............
Believe me there as worse places to be.

"Zathras" > schreef in bericht

Halmyre June 16th 05 09:56 PM

Zathras wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:13:07 +0100, "Simon C"
> > wrote:
>

>>An interesting review and first drive of the 159 can be found he
>>
>>http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/preview...romeo_159.html
>>
>>Makes for good reading.

> Yeah! It's the same old same old though!! I had the joy of scouring
> the world for reviews and comment on the 156 from the press and users
> in 2001 (6 inches thickness of paperwork in total). Call me cynical,
> but, in far too many instances in this 'review' you can just change
> 156 to 155 and 159 to 156 and you've got the same reviews as the 156
> got. I didn't believe it then and I don't believe it now.
>
> There are a couple things that worry me about this car for UK use:
>
> 1/ That nose tip looks just as far from the front wheels as the 156 so
> it may get a good scrubbing at speed on lumpy UK roads.
> 2/ The 159 (Q4?) has had an intensive test at the Nurburgring - great!
> This guarantees that it will be rubbish (like the 156 GTA) on UK roads
> which have nothing in common with the Nurburgring. I hope they tested
> other models on real roads (preferably rubbish UK ones!)
>
> The only hope is if the all-new chassis is much better than the 156.
>
> Other concerns:
>
> Stylistically, this car doesn't appear as radical as the 156 - a car
> which stood out amazingly when introduced with it's hidden rear door
> handles and off-centre front registration plate. I just don't lust
> after this design like I did for the 156. Inside, there's 'hint of
> BMW'. Look how far the centre console instruments are from hand and
> eye! Perhaps it'll look better in the flesh than in pictures - I hope
> so as that front styling just looks a bit flat compared to a
> voluptuous mk1 156.
>
> Worst of all, the wife likes it so I'd better get saving!!!

I don't think it's as attractive as my 156 either. Which is just as
well, because I'm not in a position to change cars at the moment!

Halmyre

SteveH June 16th 05 10:02 PM

Halmyre > wrote:

> > Stylistically, this car doesn't appear as radical as the 156 - a car
> > which stood out amazingly when introduced with it's hidden rear door
> > handles and off-centre front registration plate. I just don't lust
> > after this design like I did for the 156. Inside, there's 'hint of
> > BMW'. Look how far the centre console instruments are from hand and
> > eye! Perhaps it'll look better in the flesh than in pictures - I hope
> > so as that front styling just looks a bit flat compared to a
> > voluptuous mk1 156.
> >
> > Worst of all, the wife likes it so I'd better get saving!!!
> >

> I don't think it's as attractive as my 156 either. Which is just as
> well, because I'm not in a position to change cars at the moment!

http://www.sniffpetrol.com/latenews0504_03.jpg ;-)

I'm a bit torn, really. I think the original incarnation of the 156 is
still the most pure. Not convinced about the new nose treatment.

However, the 159 is very classy, looks like a real quality product and
is definitely striking to look it. But it just has a hint of VAG about
it.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Passat 1.8 Turbo SE - COSOC KOTL

MarkK June 16th 05 11:50 PM

"Simon C" > wrote in message
> An interesting review and first drive of the 159 can be found he
>
> http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/preview...romeo_159.html
>
> Makes for good reading.

The author, John Simister, likes Alfas, and has owned a 156 2.0 TS. He was
selling it on eBay earlier this year. Interestingly, it was quite a high
mileage (~100k miles IIRC) example that he'd uprated with the
Bilstein/Rhoddy Harvey-Bailey handling kit.

Mark