AutoBanter

-   Chrysler (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Transmission Education (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=8413)

Carey October 11th 04 05:50 PM

Transmission Education

If I hadn't just recently experienced this myself I wouldn't believe
it!
Last Tues. evening my son called on his way home, a 20 min. drive, &
said his 2002 Neon SXT automatic was making a whining noise & seemed
to be slipping. He wasn't sure he'd make it home. Ten min. later he
called back & said he was stalled on the side of the road & come
rescue him. So I grabbed some transmission fluid & a rag then headed
out. He'd made it about 8-10 miles from work when the car would no
longer go any further. I checked the fluid & the level was fine & also
looked & smelled good. I managed to drive it a 1/4-mile or so off the
paved road when it gave out again. Whirring & winning ever so slightly
but wouldn't move. We had it towed to the dealer. The first diagnosis
was the torque converter, second was the pump after calling other
dealers & looking online for failure analysis. The dealer then
suggested a TRANSMISSION FLUSH saying that about 85% of the time this
works. Well it did.

Nowhere in any Internet groups, web pages or talking to a bunch
of people did anyone suggest something so simple & inexpensive.

Please share this with everyone who might be in a similar situation
thinking that they need a major trans. repair.

Steve October 11th 04 06:37 PM

Before you declare victory, make sure it doesn't happen again within 100
miles or so. There's no reason on God's green earth that a HEALTHY
transmission would need a flush, or why a flush would "fix" a
transmission unless there's another very major problem lurking...

Steve October 11th 04 06:37 PM

BACKNCARDR October 11th 04 09:51 PM

>We had it towed to the dealer. The first diagnosis
>was the torque converter, second was the pump after calling other
>dealers & looking online for failure analysis. The dealer then
>suggested a TRANSMISSION FLUSH saying that about 85% of the time this
>works. Well it did.
>
> Nowhere in any Internet groups, web pages or talking to a bunch
>of people did anyone suggest something so simple & inexpensive.
>
>Please share this with everyone who might be in a similar situation
>thinking that they need a major trans. repair.

My guess izzat the flush cleared the filter of restriction and wahlah the pump
could pump again. You may ask the dealer about that 85% fix rate. I would be
courious how that got established.
Respectfully submitted,

Loren Knighton
Woodland, CA.

Under the hood since 1964
Member TRNI IATN
http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/trans_atf.html
http://www.longmfg.com/web/longwebfr...me/web.trucool

BACKNCARDR October 11th 04 09:51 PM

Threeducks October 12th 04 02:34 PM

BACKNCARDR wrote:
>>We had it towed to the dealer. The first diagnosis
>>was the torque converter, second was the pump after calling other
>>dealers & looking online for failure analysis. The dealer then
>>suggested a TRANSMISSION FLUSH saying that about 85% of the time this
>>works. Well it did.
>>
>> Nowhere in any Internet groups, web pages or talking to a bunch
>>of people did anyone suggest something so simple & inexpensive.
>>
>>Please share this with everyone who might be in a similar situation
>>thinking that they need a major trans. repair.

> My guess izzat the flush cleared the filter of restriction and wahlah the pump
> could pump again. You may ask the dealer about that 85% fix rate. I would be
> courious how that got established.
> Respectfully submitted,

I don't know about the tranny in the Neon, but we had similar trouble
with one of our minivans. New fluid fixed it. This is a transmission
that is very sensitive to the fluid condition.

Threeducks October 12th 04 02:34 PM

Carey Johnson October 17th 04 07:49 PM

Well it lasted less than 100 miles. Now they want to replace the trans &
can't find a rebuilt. $3500.00!!

....the saga continues!

om...

Carey Johnson October 17th 04 07:49 PM

Well it lasted less than 100 miles. Now they want to replace the trans &
can't find a rebuilt. $3500.00!!

....the saga continues!

om...

Matt Whiting October 17th 04 08:29 PM

Carey Johnson wrote:
> Well it lasted less than 100 miles. Now they want to replace the trans &
> can't find a rebuilt. $3500.00!!
>
> ...the saga continues!
>
> "Carey" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>If I hadn't just recently experienced this myself I wouldn't believe
>>it!
>>Last Tues. evening my son called on his way home, a 20 min. drive, &
>>said his 2002 Neon SXT automatic was making a whining noise & seemed
>>to be slipping. He wasn't sure he'd make it home. Ten min. later he
>>called back & said he was stalled on the side of the road & come
>>rescue him. So I grabbed some transmission fluid & a rag then headed
>>out. He'd made it about 8-10 miles from work when the car would no
>>longer go any further. I checked the fluid & the level was fine & also
>>looked & smelled good. I managed to drive it a 1/4-mile or so off the
>>paved road when it gave out again. Whirring & winning ever so slightly
>>but wouldn't move. We had it towed to the dealer. The first diagnosis
>>was the torque converter, second was the pump after calling other
>>dealers & looking online for failure analysis. The dealer then
>>suggested a TRANSMISSION FLUSH saying that about 85% of the time this
>>works. Well it did.
>>
>> Nowhere in any Internet groups, web pages or talking to a bunch
>>of people did anyone suggest something so simple & inexpensive.
>>
>>Please share this with everyone who might be in a similar situation
>>thinking that they need a major trans. repair.

That isn't surprising as a transmission flush will not fix a
transmission that is seriously broken. Aren't there any good
transmission shops in your area that can rebuild your current transmission?

Matt