AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Tread depth and tire life (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=73657)

Jim[_12_] September 2nd 06 07:07 AM

Tread depth and tire life

Can anyone explain why all-terrain tires with deep treads don't last
significantly longer than car tires with relatively shallow treads? By the
time my A/T tires are getting old, they still have more apparent tread
depth than some new street tires. Is wear mostly about the hardness of the
rubber compound, i.e. thicker treads made from softer rubber?

Jim

[email protected] September 2nd 06 07:16 AM

Tread depth and tire life

Jim wrote:
> Can anyone explain why all-terrain tires with deep treads don't last
> significantly longer than car tires with relatively shallow treads?

Thick rubber can't flex as easily as thin rubber, and flexing makes the
rubber heat up.

sdlomi2[_2_] September 2nd 06 07:19 PM

Tread depth and tire life

--
Please Note New address

"Jim" > wrote in message
> Can anyone explain why all-terrain tires with deep treads don't last
> significantly longer than car tires with relatively shallow treads? By the
> time my A/T tires are getting old, they still have more apparent tread
> depth than some new street tires. Is wear mostly about the hardness of the
> rubber compound, i.e. thicker treads made from softer rubber?
>
> Jim

You got it--at least an important part. Just watch Nascar drivers put
on softer rubber so they can hug the track better--at the expense of having
to change the tires more often. s

* September 3rd 06 11:38 AM

Tread depth and tire life

sdlomi2 > wrote in article

> Please Note New address
>
> "Jim" > wrote in message
> > Can anyone explain why all-terrain tires with deep treads don't last
> > significantly longer than car tires with relatively shallow treads? By

the
> > time my A/T tires are getting old, they still have more apparent tread
> > depth than some new street tires. Is wear mostly about the hardness of

the
> > rubber compound, i.e. thicker treads made from softer rubber?
> >
> > Jim

> You got it--at least an important part. Just watch Nascar drivers

put
> on softer rubber so they can hug the track better--at the expense of

having
> to change the tires more often. s

NASCAR drivers do not get a choice of tires.

Goodyear provides one tire compound for the right side and one tire
compound for the left side at each NASCAR Nextel Cup race.

Mounting the usually-softer left side tires on the right side of the car
will result in a severe fine.