AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   73 bus: alternator warning light comes on at high RPM (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=38366)

[email protected] July 16th 05 06:08 PM

73 bus: alternator warning light comes on at high RPM

any ideas what this can be?

light only comes on at high RPM (IE, at top of a gear)

Jen

Speedy Jim July 16th 05 06:40 PM

wrote:
> any ideas what this can be?
>
> light only comes on at high RPM (IE, at top of a gear)
>
> Jen

Does it come on when the key is first turned On (engine not running)?
--

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

[email protected] July 17th 05 05:53 PM

yeah,

the light functions as it should when
key is ON, engine is not running.

Off: when key is off
OFF: when key is on, engine running, (low)-(mid)-(low-HIGH) RPM

ON when key is on, engine is off
ON when key is on, engine on, HIGH RPM

Jen

Speedy Jim July 17th 05 06:06 PM

wrote:
> yeah,
>
> the light functions as it should when
> key is ON, engine is not running.
>
> Off: when key is off
> OFF: when key is on, engine running, (low)-(mid)-(low-HIGH) RPM
>
> ON when key is on, engine is off
> ON when key is on, engine on, HIGH RPM
>
> Jen

Good info.

The only thing I can think of that would cause the
light to go out at high RPM is poor contact between
the brushes and the slip rings.

If the brushes are worn and have less spring tension,
they will tend to "float" off the slip rings at high RPM.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! <g>

--

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

[email protected] July 17th 05 08:23 PM